none
Using Templates RRS feed

• Question

• We undertake a lot of very similar projects where almost all milestones are common, and project commencement is driven by the Need By Date of the project.

Is there a way I can create a template - and when its used on a new project - the entry of the Need By Date (or completion date) will automatically update all the dates until project commencement?

Apologies if thats a silly question....

Cheers

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is exactly the purpose of a template. You define a work breakdown structure (WBS) with a set of tasks/milestones, dependencies, resources. If you can avoid setting constraints in this template, you'll just need to enter a new project start date to update the entire project.

You just have to save the new project as a template using MPT file format extension. It is adviced to remove any baselines and actuals before saving the project as a template.

This is assuming that you use MS Project standalone and not connected to Project Server or Project Online.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:07 AM
  • Ribbon, Project, Project information, Schedule From, "Project Finish Date".

Set all tasks to As Late As Possible constraint.

Change the project finish date as required.

Save As <NewName>

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:19 AM
  • MorphaToo,

I'm sorry but I feel I must comment on your suggestion. Neither reverse scheduling (i.e. from finish date) nor using constraints are considered best practices. Forward scheduling is the preferred approach for more realistic flow of the plan and ideally a plan should have no constraints in order to allow Project's scheduling engine to create a good dynamic structure.

My opinion.

John

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 2:25 PM
  • "Neither reverse scheduling (i.e. from finish date) nor using constraints are considered best practices."

You should read the question. Who knows how the OP originally scheduled his/her project template?

Every task in MS Project has a constraint. Check the column called "Constraint Type". There's no choice of <none> (maybe you should try the P6 Forum).

ALAP and ASAP both "allow Project's scheduling engine to create a good dynamic structure".

This is TechNet. The OP has asked how to do something technical. My answer is the way that he/she can do it. Why should answering a technical question with a technical solution result in a philosophical debate about "best practices"?

Planning Planet, PMI, etc has lots of space to discuss the various ways and means. To my knowledge much of this is undecided, and the professional and academic worlds continue to improve the tools and techniques. And they desperately need to improve.

• Edited by MorphaToo Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 5:28 PM
  • I agree - for the best schedule you are right.  In reality - in the business I am in - with our demands - it just wont work for us to give easy and accurate schedules that meet our needs.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:43 PM
  • Thanks Morpha Too - thats great advice. i will give that a try.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:54 PM
  • You're welcome. If it works for you please remember to mark as the answer. Thanks.
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:39 AM