none
Task Durations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem that needs to show a certain estimated Task duration in days, but would like to show the subtasks in hours so that I can track the task progress based upon the subtasks progress.  The reason for this is I need to show an overall schedule with the estimate time I believe it will take to complete the overall Task but want to use resource management aspect of Project to accurately tell me a reasonable schedule.  Is this possible?

For example if Task A has a duration of 20 days and has subtasks Aa which is 80 hours and subtask Ab which is 80 hours.  Would it be possible to mix hours and days for the duration?

Thanks,

Barry

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:37 PM

Answers

• Barry,

Actually you can, at least in Project 2010. I didn't try it in previous versions but I believe it will work the same. First, make sure your default for duration is set to days. Then when you enter the durations for each subtask, enter it in hours. The subtasks will show duration in hours and the summary line will show it in days.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:59 PM

All replies

• Barry,

Actually you can, at least in Project 2010. I didn't try it in previous versions but I believe it will work the same. First, make sure your default for duration is set to days. Then when you enter the durations for each subtask, enter it in hours. The subtasks will show duration in hours and the summary line will show it in days.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Barry,

Mixing hours and days is not a good practice.

I would request, you have every task (main and sub tasks) in hours and add additional column which can show units in Days. You can use that information for your PM activities. Hide additional column as per your need.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:59 AM