Outlook 2016 Calendar Sharing Full/Private Calendar Details Inadvertently RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!  Management is asking that this issue gets resolved quickly.

Outlook 2016 Calendar is inadvertently sharing full calendar details in a few cases.  I verified the calendar permissions settings are set to default.   The permission level is set to share Free/Busy times only (and not full calendar details).

Details:  For example, Bill has added calendars from 10 other employees to his calendar view.  Bill can only view Free/Busy calendar items from 8 of the 10 employees.  However, Bill can see full/private calendar details from Sue and Mae's calendars even though Sue and Mae are Not sharing full details of their calendars with Bill.  I've confirmed Sue and Mae calendar permissions are set to share Free/Busy times only and that they have not added custom rules to allow Bill to see full details of their calendars.  

Why is this anomaly happening?  Thank you for any help!

• Edited by Orion2050 Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:11 PM
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Orion,

Does this happen to all users in your environment?

How do you open calendars in Outlook? Add Calendar > Open Shared Calendar?

Please log on the web mail to see if issue can be reproduced. This also helps determine whether issue lies on client side or server side.

If issue only occurs on Outlook client, we can switch to Exchange Online mode to test the result.

Please recreate user's .ost file to see if cached settings are corrupted.

One common fix for shared calendar’s issues is to set accessing shared folders directly online. To do this, please refer to steps below:

1. Open File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    2. Double click your Exchange account.
    3. Click More Settings.
    4. Under Advanced tab, unselect “Download shared folders”.
    5. Click OK. Restart Outlook.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:52 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 4:22 AM
  • Hi Orion,

Does calendar show correctly now?

Any updates with this issue?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, June 3, 2019 4:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, June 3, 2019 4:14 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:22 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your response.  Regarding your questions:

Does this happen to all users in your environment? - No.  It seems to only happen on a few cases (very small percentage that I know of).

How do you open calendars in Outlook? Add Calendar > Open Shared Calendar? - Yes as well as Add Calendar > From Address Book

Please log on the web mail to see if issue can be reproduced. This also helps determine whether issue lies on client side or server side.  - Yes the problem can be reproduced via Outlook on the Web.  Calendar details are still showing for this particular person.

Please recreate user's .ost file to see if cached settings are corrupted.  - I'll research how to do this.  But by recreating the .ost file do you mean backing it up, removing the file locally and allowing it to recreate itself when it syncs with the server copy?  

One common fix for shared calendar’s issues is to set accessing shared folders directly online. To do this, please refer to steps below:  - Unfortunately the "Cached Exchange Mode Settings" are grayed out so I can't unselect the "Download Shared Folders" 

Thanks for your help Perry.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:35 PM
  • >>Yes the problem can be reproduced via Outlook on the Web.  Calendar details are still showing for this particular person.

If calendar details are still showing for this user on the web mail, there are some problems with the permission settings. It is more related with server side. As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I'm not familiar with server. For Exchange server, I'd like to recommend you post this thread to Exchange forum

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, June 7, 2019 5:09 AM
    Friday, June 7, 2019 5:08 AM