none
Anyone else notice the network issues with Windows 10 Creator's edition?

Question

• I installed Win 10 creators edition on my main PC. Strangely I could no longer connect to the shares on it from my Oppo BD player. Stranger still I turned on one of my spare PCs and I could no longer connect to the shared folders on that PC either! I thought it might be some update or master browser issue. I turned off my main PC with creators edition and strangely enough my win 10 anniversary edition now showed up on the oppo. I then turned on my main PC (creator's edition) again and the shares for it also showed on my oppo. But when I boot the creator's edition PC first it doesn't show up and any subsequent windows PCs (creator's or anniversary) don't show up either.

I set up a WINS server in case that might help and pointed to the wins server on the NetBIOS page of network properties.  It didn't help so I looked at ipconfig to verify that I had the wins correct - the wins properties no longer show in ipconfig on Windows Creator's edition.

I did some master browser tests and it doesn't seem to show what the problem is (at least from my ability to check).   I did test the shares between Windows 10 editions and no problems.

I did a search and someone else trying to connect to the SMB share with his non-windows device had a similar problem.

I just went to recovery and went to an earlier build and boom the shares show again - no problem.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean before Creator Update, all computers show on the Oppo?

Please run network reset tool to see if it can resolve the issue:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

3. Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

If it cannot resolve your issue, please submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback app. And roll back to previous build as a workaround temporarily.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Have the same issue, can't connect to shares on Windows 10 creators edition Machines via netbios or fqdn name, however it works if I connect via ipv4 (\\192.168.1.1\c$ for example). Windows firewall rules are enabled to allow incoming filesharing traffic. Worked with Windows 10 1511 and 1607, the problem appears only with 1703 (creators edition). The computers were upgraded from 1607 via upgrade-task-sequence configuration manager.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Did you mean before Creator Update, all computers show on the Oppo?

Please run network reset tool to see if it can resolve the issue:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

3. Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

If it cannot resolve your issue, please submit this feedback via the built-in Feedback app. And roll back to previous build as a workaround temporarily.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Yes before the creator's update all did show.   I have tried a  reset and have tried removing my nic and adding it back.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Have the same issue, can't connect to shares on Windows 10 creators edition Machines via netbios or fqdn name, however it works if I connect via ipv4 (\\192.168.1.1\c$ for example). Windows firewall rules are enabled to allow incoming filesharing traffic. Worked with Windows 10 1511 and 1607, the problem appears only with 1703 (creators edition). The computers were upgraded from 1607 via upgrade-task-sequence configuration manager.

! Unfortunately my Oppo requires a broadcast list - it can't be told to go to an IP or even a name. I also tried disabling the firewall.

• Edited by boe_d Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:17 AM
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:17 AM
  • I also can no longer connect to network shares.  

Specifically I can't access the machine using ES File Explorer on Android after the update.  I use this to stream videos between the PC and the Android. ES File Explorer is now asking for login credentials when I tap my PC. No credentials are valid.  Previously no credentials were even required because I have the network shares set to "Everyone". 

----------------------------------

My temporary fix around this BS was to create a new IIS site with the root directory set to the media drive. I then had to set the IIS application pool user to my Microsoft xxx@live.com account.  Then set the media drives permissions so that my microsoft account has full control of the media drive because "Authenticated Users" wasn't enough apparently. Next I had to add MIME types for different media types such as ".mkv - video/x-matroska". Now to play media on other devices on my local network I have to use a http browser such as Chrome. 

If you're going to force upgrades get your s*** together microsoft. Also FTP has the same login credentials issue, because I tried that before I tried http.  Allowing Anonymous Users doesn't seem to work and no login credentials I have work. 

Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:49 AM
  • We can no longer connect to shares either on our 1703 Windows 10 PCs
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:46 PM
  •  my Oppo requires a broadcast list.

This reminds me that there was a problem in the preview that had a workaround that took advantage of having some broadcast traffic from its  ipconfig /renew6   command and I wondered if that worked what about  ipconfig /registerDNS  instead, since that seemed to be more on target...

Here's an example.  (I couldn't find my comments--naturally!)  

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9cb202d0-8f0f-445b-a7ce-1aa46bfeb883/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-dhcpv6-client?forum=win10itpronetworking

(BING search for
        ipconfig  renew6  site:microsoft.com
    Custom Date:  Last year
    )

The last post claims that the symptom was fixed (at least in non-Enterprise versions) but maybe there was a regression or maybe the fix created new related problems?

In any case, does that workaround do anything to change your new symptom?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:28 PM
  • We are experiencing the same issue across several of our client's networks.  After the Windows Redstone 2 update, Workgroup shared computers and folders are no longer visible in Network list under File explorer unless a Homegroup is setup.  Even with the Homegroup, a WIFI connected device can not see any Homegroups on the network, and devices can not find Homegroups if devices are connected to different switches.

Prior to the update, all shared folders were present and connected.  In some cases, legacy shared printers on local devices were connected, and now can only be connected via Homegroups when devices are connected in the same manner on a switch.

We've attempted resets, changes of settings (Windows to Manage shares vs Homegroup), reset of switches and gateways, etc. without success.  

This is occurring across several different networks.

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:31 PM
  •  reset of switches and gateways, etc. without success.  

Since a Homegroup implies IPv6 connectivity what about changing that?  This also would raise the point which was mentioned in one of the older threads about this symptom that knowing the Discovery method could provide a clue.  E.g. enable that column in the Network folder in File Explorer to see it.  I wish they would let that choice persist.  It is annoying having to change it every time I want to see it!

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:48 PM
  • I just noticed this on my recently updated Win 10 Pro workstation. I can map drives and shares just fine, but damned if I can't see anything else on the network, Mac or Windows. However on my Dell XPS13 I can see everything just fine and it's been updated as well. Rebooted everything on my network and reset the network and still nothing.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Same issue here,I have a HTPC set up on my TV running KODI connected to the main PC that has all my digital content on. Was working 100% till Creator edition update was loaded at which point I was completely unable to connect the the SMB shares. I can setup the homegroup shares without any issue but these folders can not be viewed in KODI only via windows explorer.
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:06 PM
  • i have the same issue, before the creators update my wd tv live could see my network share pc, now it can't, i tried alot it must me a bug 
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:22 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue.  I have a network with 7 Windows 10 units that received the 1607 update.  For some reason 1 still sees the network computers fine.   The other 6 do not.  I have duplicated setting and done the reset with out success.  Apparently MS is not helping yet.  
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:51 AM
  • Frustrating.  I'm sure there are a lot of the same--loss of discovery.  And in our case, even manually entering the IP or FQDN for shares or other computers that were 'upgraded'... (not sure that's the word I want to use)... we either dont see the computers or if we do, some or all of the shares arent accessible.  ... even tho before the 1703 update they all worked.. win10pro, win7pro/ult, nas, etc.

We are fully peer in this setup and again nothing changed other than what MS's update did.

I wonder if there are any MS guys actually paying attention to this one.  It is very frustrating not only for us internally, but our smb customers that are running peer networking with what was a stable win10pro environment.

Chet.
    MS Partner, Houston, TX

Sunday, April 23, 2017 7:27 AM
  • It is the Master Browser in Win 10 (1703).

I still have one machine in my LAN running Win 10 (1607). I made that machine the Master Browser and my WD TV Live (streaming device) could see the shares on both machines. After that I switched the Master Browser back to Auto on the 1703 machine and the shares were gone again.

So I guess it is fair to say Master Browser is not working correctly in 1703. 

• Proposed as answer by rob5289 Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:48 PM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 4:43 PM
  • I've also got the same issue since upgrading to Windows 10 Creator's Edition.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Hi guys,

I noticed with last two upgrades problems with FTP speed. Using filezilla on latest Windows 10 Creators Update and previous update as well.
    Can't get more than 500kb/s per file.

Tested speed from the Windows 8.1 pro under the same network it works fine. OSX Yosemite works fine as well.
    Same file same settings on these two is downloading 10mb/s but on windows 10 500kb/s and not more than than.

Month and half ago it was working well now it's total disaster.
    Login in to SFTP -SSH is impossible on latest win10 upgrade.

Preview of Monthly quality roll-up April 2017 is making these problems as well. Didn't do it on Windows 8.1 Pro and it's working fine.

Anyone experiencing or had a same problems?

• Edited by vfxmag Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Guys good news...
    Found solution for this problem:

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe, hold down Shift and Ctrl keys, and hit enter.
    2. Confirm the UAC prompt that opens.
    3. Run the command netsh interface tcp show global.

Run the following command to disable Window Auto-Tuning on Windows 10:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

This is done by running the following command:
    • netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:35 AM
  • it is because that you are trying to use your Microsoft account as user name. make a local account an the target machine. and on your machine add target machine to  manage credentials. next time you try to access to the target computer hard drive it will use it and you will see no errors 
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:11 PM
  • not using Microsoft account as user name. Never set this up.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Use Registry Editor and check Win10 settings.  Make these changes and it should work.

KEY: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    DATA: everyoneincludesanonymous = 1
    DATA: NoLmHash = 0
    DATA: LmCompatibilityLevel = 1
    KEY: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
    DATA: restrictnullsessaccess = 0

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:54 PM
  • I've seen issues with wifi and the speeds i get more than anything.  I saw major drops in performance over wifi and SMB/CIFS shares. I was able to transfer files around 30MB/s over my 802.11ac network on the 1607 build but once i went to 1703 creator built my speeds went to a horrible 500KB/s to 1MB/s. Once i rolled back to 1607; speeds were back to 30MB/s again. 

Prior to rolling back, i tried the latest drivers and several older versions of the Intel Proset Wireless drivers; even reverted to the windows updates version of the driver; same horrible performance.  I have a Brix S with Intel 3165 wifi.  Seems creator update has a ton of wifi issues from what i've seen just in the last week and forums.

Paid IT Geek; mobile/desktops/deployments

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:21 PM
  • If you're going to force upgrades get your s*** together microsoft. Also FTP has the same login credentials issue, because I tried that before I tried http.  Allowing Anonymous Users doesn't seem to work and no login credentials I have work. 

agreed. we have just rolled out win10 at work (1607) build and seriously have already gotten several bad windows and office updates that has hurt our productivity greatly.  they should NEVER force us to update; it is on us if we get hacked however it really should be on them on building a proper and secure OS to start with.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Guys good news...
    Found solution for this problem:

1. Tap on the Windows-key, type cmd.exe, hold down Shift and Ctrl keys, and hit enter.
    2. Confirm the UAC prompt that opens.
    3. Run the command netsh interface tcp show global.

Run the following command to disable Window Auto-Tuning on Windows 10:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

This is done by running the following command:
    • netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

i may try updating to creators build again and try this. i think you are onto something my friend! :) thanks for posting your possible solution; us geeks gotta band together on this one :)

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Can confirm. I rolled back two Creator's Edition PCs on my peer-to-peer network and made sure that one was master browser. My WDTV Live could then see and access the usual shares. When a 1703 machine is master browser, none of the other computers show up in the WDTV's "network shares".

This is now quite repeatable behavior. Before turning on the WTDTV Live, I have to start up a non-1703 unit and stop the computer browser on the 1703  (which has the media files). Then the WDTV works as expected.

Network reset and the netsh commands mentioned in this thread had no effect.

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Can confirm too. I have the same problem WD Tv Live + Win 10 1703.

Microsoft guys, please give us a hope !!!

18 hours 51 minutes ago