Windows Window Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and since a week, the Window icon the famous four blocks) in the toolbar which should launch all my program options, mail etc, is not functioning at all. It does not respond. I rebooted, tried reupgrainding Windows 10 (didn't work). How do I fix this bug ? It is a really essential tool.

Thanks 

Nicole Nij

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:47 PM

Answers

• These procedures can be used to fix issues with These win 10 apps.  Mail, Calendar, Cortana, Start menu, and Settings.  It probably will work for others but I have only tested it with these.

Solution 1: Re-register this App:
    1. Run Windows PowerShell as Administrator.
    2. Type Get-AppxPackage, press Enter.
    3. From the output list, find the Mail App (or whatever app you are trying to fix) and remember the InstallLocation.
    4. Type this command: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}
    5. It would run as below:
    Solution 2: If re-registering the App does not resolve your issue, Try reinstalling the App.
    Step 1: Uninstall it completely
    3. From the output list, find Mail App package and remember its PackageFullName as below:
    4. And then type the following command: Remove-Appxpackage –Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Note: After running this command in Windows 10, the Mail icon still appear in the App list and Start menu. However, you cannot click to launch it. Just ignore and continue next step.
    Step 2: Reinstall the App from Windows Store

If you have any questions feel free to ask but tell us what you did and where you are getting stuck

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

For this issue, we could consider re-register all apps with the following command in the PowerShell with Administrator
    "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

If the issue still insists, we could use the DISM command to repair the system files:
    I) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.
    ii) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .
    iii) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If these steps don’t work, I suggest that we could try create a new account to check.
    Hope it will be helpful to you

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:41 AM

All replies

• These procedures can be used to fix issues with These win 10 apps.  Mail, Calendar, Cortana, Start menu, and Settings.  It probably will work for others but I have only tested it with these.

Solution 1: Re-register this App:
    3. From the output list, find the Mail App (or whatever app you are trying to fix) and remember the InstallLocation.
    4. Type this command: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"}
    5. It would run as below:
    Solution 2: If re-registering the App does not resolve your issue, Try reinstalling the App.
    Step 1: Uninstall it completely
    3. From the output list, find Mail App package and remember its PackageFullName as below:
    4. And then type the following command: Remove-Appxpackage –Package microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6120.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Note: After running this command in Windows 10, the Mail icon still appear in the App list and Start menu. However, you cannot click to launch it. Just ignore and continue next step.
    Step 2: Reinstall the App from Windows Store

If you have any questions feel free to ask but tell us what you did and where you are getting stuck

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

For this issue, we could consider re-register all apps with the following command in the PowerShell with Administrator
    "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

If the issue still insists, we could use the DISM command to repair the system files:
    I) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.
    ii) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .
    iii) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
    dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If these steps don’t work, I suggest that we could try create a new account to check.
    Hope it will be helpful to you

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:41 AM