How do you present none shared storage to a stretch cluster for use in storage replication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am now actually trying this in Server 2016 RTM.

I am carrying out some testing with a 2 node cluster and I have 2 separate ISCSi target servers.

If I present the ISCSi LUNs to each server only, clustering does not recognize any disks for clustering so how do you add them?

If I present the ISCSi LUNs to both servers you can then add the disk in and then remove the mapping as necessary once the disks are in the cluster.

This did work on TP5 but not on RTM?

Thanks.

Sunday, October 30, 2016 3:59 PM

Answers

• We changed the behavior in Win2016 so that for a disk to be clustered automatically, it needs to be visible by 2 or more nodes.

As you've found out, if you have disks just presented to a single node you need to add the disks by running this PowerShell syntax, which will cluster all the disks... even if visible to 1 node (effectively the Win2012 R2 behavior)

Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -All | Add-ClusterDisk

What you are trying to do with a 2-node stretch cluster with Storage Replica is absolutely supported... the setup flow is just a little different that you have to run this PowerShell cmdlet, that's all.

Thanks!
    Elden

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:57 AM
  • For completeness, this is also documented here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-known-issues

See 'Attempting to add disks to a two-node asymmetric cluster returns "No disks suitable for cluster disks found"'. As mentioned, it's also inside the main deployment guides.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

• Marked as answer by Nige-b1 Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Nige-b1,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my knowledge, you need to present the ISCSi LUNs to both servers.

Maybe you could check the articles about storage replica in server 2016.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-known-issues

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-overview

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Thank you Mary,

The following article suggests that you can use 2 nodes and it use to work in TP5.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/stretch-cluster-replication-using-shared-storage

If you're creating a two-node stretch cluster, you must add all storage before continuing. To do so, open a PowerShell session with administrative permissions on the cluster nodes, and run the following command: Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -All | Add-ClusterDisk.

This is by-design behavior in Windows Server 2016.

Looking at the known issues it looks like you do actually now need a minimum of three nodes ....

Monday, October 31, 2016 8:00 PM
  • We changed the behavior in Win2016 so that for a disk to be clustered automatically, it needs to be visible by 2 or more nodes.

As you've found out, if you have disks just presented to a single node you need to add the disks by running this PowerShell syntax, which will cluster all the disks... even if visible to 1 node (effectively the Win2012 R2 behavior)

Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -All | Add-ClusterDisk

What you are trying to do with a 2-node stretch cluster with Storage Replica is absolutely supported... the setup flow is just a little different that you have to run this PowerShell cmdlet, that's all.

Thanks!
    Elden

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:57 AM
  • For completeness, this is also documented here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/storage/storage-replica/storage-replica-known-issues

See 'Attempting to add disks to a two-node asymmetric cluster returns "No disks suitable for cluster disks found"'. As mentioned, it's also inside the main deployment guides.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] | Principal Program Manager for Storage Replica, DFS Replication, Scale-out File Server, SMB, other stuff

• Marked as answer by Nige-b1 Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:04 PM
  • Thank you Elden,

I'm sure that I tried Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -All | Add-ClusterDisk previously but it did not find / add any disks in.

I have now got 3 nodes in the cluster. 2 of the nodes connect to 2 x shared ISCSi LUNs and these disks have been added into the cluster.

I have presented another 2 LUNs to the 3rd node only and run the commands above but it did not find / add any disks in.

Server validation - list disks shows the 2 LUNs presented to the 3rd node and eligible for validation

1 1 {5b4bc300-f648-4f0a-a70f-1c00aa28007d} 6001405D0585AA06A124035B51223326 d0585aa0-6a12-4035-b512-23326e317759 LIO-ORG FILEIO SCSI Disk Device iSCSI Stor Port 4:0:0:0 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator True Disk partition style is GPT. Disk type is BASIC.
    2 2 {e46c1217-62f1-4a86-9dfc-ef9c3831f98d} 60014059BD74099B1714457B5923C70A 9bd74099-b171-4457-b592-3c70a650f3d8 LIO-ORG FILEIO SCSI Disk Device iSCSI Stor Port 4:0:0:1 Microsoft iSCSI Initiator True Disk partition style is GPT. Disk type is BASIC.

The report shows that they will not be tested because they cannot be seen from at least 2 nodes.

Physical disk {e46c1217-62f1-4a86-9dfc-ef9c3831f98d} is visible from only one node and will not be tested. Validation requires that the disk be visible from at least two nodes. The disk is reported as visible at node: 2016Eval3.contoso.com

Physical disk {5b4bc300-f648-4f0a-a70f-1c00aa28007d} is visible from only one node and will not be tested. Validation requires that the disk be visible from at least two nodes. The disk is reported as visible at node: 2016Eval3.contoso.com

Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -All | Add-ClusterDisk does not seem to be doing anything?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Sorry I have now figured this out.

I did not configure cluster site awareness before running the commands.

Once configured the disks were found and added into the cluster.

Thanks,

Nigel.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:29 PM
  • can you please let us know how did you configured site awareness ?
    Sunday, November 13, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Nigel,

Do you have additional information on how you got this to work?  I'm attempting to create a two-node cluster but I'm also not able to add the disks.  I can see the disks in the report but getting a similar message that disks are only available on a single node.

Thanks,

Jason

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:07 PM
  • I configured site awareness on 2 nodes and still  Get-ClusterAvailableDisk -all | Add-ClusterDisk is doing nothing 

can you highlight what you did ?

thanks

Monday, May 1, 2017 5:41 PM
  • I've tried this, no luck. Something seems missing - it doesn't make sense that in a stretch cluster the storage would need to be visible on all nodes. That would completely invalidate the whole idea of storage replica?
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:01 PM