Exchange 2007 - enumerate distribution lists members RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have approximately 600 distribution lists on an Exchange 2007 SP1 and I have to list the members of each group and export it to a csv or excel file.

Is there any quick way of doing this, maybe in powershell?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have some tests in my environment using Exchange 2007, you can use the following cmdlet to get all the distribution groups and their members and then export them to a csv file.

$groupmembers = foreach ($group in Get-DistributionGroup) { get-distributiongroupmember $group | select Name,@{n='DistributionGroupName';e={$group.Name}} }
    $groupmembers | Export-Csv C:\DGgroupmembers.csv -NoTypeInformation

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ivan Davids Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:47 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:06 AM

All replies

• I believe Exchange 2007 still has the Get-DistributionGroupMember command, so you would run the following:

Get-DistributionList | Sort Name | Get-DistributionGroupMember

In order to map all group to their members, try the following:

Get-DistributionList | Sort Name | % { $DlName = $_.Name ; Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | Select @{E={ $DlName };L='DlName' } }, * | Export-Csv DlMembers.csv -NoTypeInformation

That is a single line of PowerShell code - you should be able to copy it and ruin it as-is.  If you don't include the $DlName = $_.Name bit, you will get the members but not the DLs they belong to.  HTH ...

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for your response, I will try it out and let you know the outcome.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

I have some tests in my environment using Exchange 2007, you can use the following cmdlet to get all the distribution groups and their members and then export them to a csv file.

$groupmembers = foreach ($group in Get-DistributionGroup) { get-distributiongroupmember $group | select Name,@{n='DistributionGroupName';e={$group.Name}} }
    $groupmembers | Export-Csv C:\DGgroupmembers.csv -NoTypeInformation

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ivan Davids Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:47 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Hi Amy

This worked really well, thanks for your time and assistance

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:47 AM
  • HI Willard 

I get the following when I ran as is.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-DistributionList | Sort Name | % { $DlName = $_.Name ; Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | Select @{E={ $DlName };
    tion
    The term 'Get-DistributionList' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of
    is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:21
    + Get-DistributionList <<<<  | Sort Name | % { $DlName = $_.Name ; Get-DistributionGroupMember $_ | Select @{E={ $DlName };L='DlName' } }, *
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DistributionList:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Sorry, change 'Get-DistributionList' to 'Get-DistributionGroup' in the command ...
    Friday, November 28, 2014 12:52 PM