none
Central store ADMX update query...

Question

• Hi all,

Trying to edit GPO's in a Server 2008 domain controller and 'm getting the missing element error on the administrative templates....but found <multiTextBox> instead....on the the inetres.admx template.

From research I now understand the templates on my DC require updating to cater for new features, options software options and operating systems etc.

Question...

Can I import the latest 8.1 \ 2012 templates along with the updated internet explorer 11 ADMX files into a server 2008 domain controller to ensure I can continue to administer GPOs on this server as there is no plan as yet to migrate this server to 2012.

No RSAT currently  allowed on this box for remote GPO manipulation from an updated OS, maybe this is a better option?

Thanks in advance,

durrie.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015 11:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Seems the error is related to <multiTextBox>. As far as I know, <multiTextBox> was introduced with Windows Server 2008R2/Windows 7, and older Group Policy Tools within older OS such as Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista cannot interpret this.

I'd recommend to administer GPO from a newer OS to resolve this problem. It does not need to be a domain controller, you can administer group policy from any domain-joined computer on which you've enabled the GP management tools.

This blog post should give you more information about this:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/12/09/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-and-the-group-policy-central-store.aspx

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 03, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the reply, I checked out the linked article and it's not clear to me which location the ADMX files go. I could copy them to the SYSVOL area but not to the local store area as due to permissions violations.

I did not attempt to take ownership of the local store as this seemed like a last resort.

What I did in the end do is simply Administer GP from a Server 2012 R2 server instead as recommended.

Thanks,

durrie.

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:04 AM