Auto reply to sender RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have question on auto reply to sender.

My company is shifting to a new location and the Exchange will be down for 2 days, can i or where to set the auto reply to sender during this down time, from the Exchange level????

Is there a rules or policy that i can apply from Exchange sever itself and not from user Outlook???

I have around 80+ user to configurate if the only way is on Client Outlook.

Please advise me on this...

Thanks.

Current info:

Exchange 2010

Outlook 2010, 2007 & 2003

Simon Hoo
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:48 PM

Answers

• Autoreplies are a bad idea. They will lead to mail loops.

Most mailers will retry for at least 2 days, so some or most of the messages will queue on the senders side and eventually will be delivered to your org when its back online. However, that is no guarantee of course and is really bad form.

You really should not be down for 2 days. If you have no choice, then I would ask your ISP to set something up and queue the mail for you or look at another solution.

• Marked as answer by Simonhoo79 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:26 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:20 PM

All replies

• If Exchange will be down for 2 days, what's going to send the replies during the down time?
    [string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "
    Monday, September 5, 2011 4:06 PM
    1. Do you have any 3rd party product like a gateway?
    2. If not then you users will just get a standard NDR.

Sukh
    Monday, September 5, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Autoreplies are a bad idea. They will lead to mail loops.

Most mailers will retry for at least 2 days, so some or most of the messages will queue on the senders side and eventually will be delivered to your org when its back online. However, that is no guarantee of course and is really bad form.

You really should not be down for 2 days. If you have no choice, then I would ask your ISP to set something up and queue the mail for you or look at another solution.

• Marked as answer by Simonhoo79 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:26 AM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for all the advise and suggestion given.

Thanks, Again.

Simon Hoo
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Just doing some searching on an unrelated subject, and, also I realize I am replying almost 3 years later, but just a mention that the cloud services offering from Symantec, called Symantec.cloud (with a variety of services under this umbrella) has a service that lets you queue send/receives from a middle-man server they have for you.  In other words they handled all the queuing, and for an additional fee you can even send/receive via their server while your infrastructure is moved around and thus down. 
    And from what I gather, after your infrastructure is back up, all that stuff done offline is somehow merged in with your infrastructure again (I think but on this part I could be wrong). 
    • Edited by viProCon Friday, July 18, 2014 1:56 PM Added last line
    Friday, July 18, 2014 1:54 PM