none
IIS/MIMService issues when browsing MIM Portal with Firefox RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello. I'm struggling with a strange issue that I've never encountered with any MIM installation before, and I've installed many of them.

    Setup: Windows Server 2012 R2 fully patched, Sharepoint Foundation 2013 SP1, MIM Sync/Service/Portal version 4.4.1642.0

    MIM Portal wirks great in both IE and Chrome with Kerberos-authentication (SSO). No issues whatsoever. But if I browse the same MIM Portal with Firefox or Safari I am prompted for credentials, and when I enter my credentials I'm able to browse the portal until a search is done (e.g. search for all users). Once I click "Search" IIS simply stops responding.

    There are no error messages in event log, and also Chrome/IE hangs when trying to browse the MIM Portal after that. The only solution is to actually run IISRESET to make the MIM Portal work again (in IE and Chrome) until a Firefox-user comes along and chrashes the service again

    Note that I have configured "Require Kerberos" in "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\82\web.config":
    <resourceManagementClient resourceManagementServiceBaseAddress="http://mim.mydomain.com:5725" timeoutInMilliseconds="60000" requireKerberos="true" /> 

    If I remove requireKerberos="true" from the config-file and restart IIS, the exact same thing happens when browsing the MIM Portal with Firefox - except for I get the following error message "The Portal cannot connect to the middle tier using the web service interface.  This failure prevents all portal scenarios from functioning correctly" (and a "FIM Service could not be contacted" error message in the webportal).

    Anyone seen this happen before? Any tips on what I can do to troubleshoot this further?

    Many thanks!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:38 AM

All replies

  • Not much help, but I've seen something similar where if a second person accessed the portal it would then make it hang for everyone.

    I spent a lot of time trying to resolve it, couldn't, and ended up re-installed everything and it was ok. 

    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:47 AM
  • Thanks. I actually reinstalled MIM Sync/Service/Portal because we originally had the "no-upgrade" SP1 of MIM installed. So that didn't help.

    But yes, if no one have other suggestions we may have to look at setting up a fresh server and start from scratch (re-use the databases tho).

    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 12:05 PM
  • Hello,

    I have not run into this particular problem.  My recommendation is to look at updating to the latest hotfix (update) to see if that helps.  At present time, 4.4.1749.0 is the latest public bits.  I do not specifically see your issue as a publicly documented bug fix in this release but I do see some browser fixes in the release.  If the latest bits do not fix the problem I would recommend opening up a support case.  A client browser should not hang or crash a server-side service.

    See also Microsoft Identity Software: Public Release Build Versions

    Best,

    Jeff Ingalls

    Friday, March 2, 2018 8:42 PM