none
WSUS auto approve settings RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need to have auto approve set in WSUS for SCCM to get updates to distrubute?
    Or just leave it alone?
    tconners
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:49 PM

Answers

• You don't need to configure that setting or any other settings in WSUS. Config mgr. will configure the WSUS server automatically. Software Updates are aproved and distributed in the Config Mgr. console.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, August 17, 2009 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Hehe.... it's funny, I just got that error a few hours ago.... please check the permissions for the location where the updates are being downloaded (i was using a different server). Also I inherited permissiones to child objects... and I granted read/execute permissions to my 'Domain Users'.....

Probably someone else can give you  better direction... :)

I hope that works..
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• You don't need to configure that setting or any other settings in WSUS. Config mgr. will configure the WSUS server automatically. Software Updates are aproved and distributed in the Config Mgr. console.
    Kent Agerlund | http://agerlund.spaces.live.com/blog/
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Great thanks, now can you provide a quality link for distributing software updates?
    Or how to troubleshoot why the are not being deployed to my clients?
    My system center client installed just fine to all my clients through AD settings but I cannot seem to distribute software or updates to them.

tconners
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Hello TConners.

Let me see if I can help (I'm also new to this):

1. This LINK helped me to understand better how to deploy updates using SCCM.

2. About to to troubleshoot your deployment: So far what I have used are these:

- First I check the the the 'component status' on SCCM (under System Status).
      - Then I use the Configuration Manager Report Viewer, (Check if you installed that role on your server) verify the status of my deployment. Also the logs on the server and/or clients might help, but at the beggining it's kinda complex to understand all of that stuff.... (

3. Something that I noticed, is that even when your computers have been detected by SCCM, it takes a while to be recognized by WSUS (I don't know if that happens to everyone or it's only me :); open the WSUS console, and you should check the status of each of your computers. Until WSUS finishes the scaning, the deployments should start.....

I hope that helps. :)

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Here is the failure I am getting:
    SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package "Dot net Deploy" (package ID = WFT00007).

Possible cause: Distribution manager does not have access to either the package source directory or the distribution point.
    Solution: Verify that distribution manager can access the package source directory/distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.
    Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

Possible cause: There is not enough disk space available on the site server computer or the distribution point.
    Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space available on the site server computer and on the distribution point.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files that might be in use by an active process.
    Solution: Close any processes that maybe using files in the source directory.  If this failure persists, create an alternate copy of the source directory and update the package source to point to it.

tconners
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Hehe.... it's funny, I just got that error a few hours ago.... please check the permissions for the location where the updates are being downloaded (i was using a different server). Also I inherited permissiones to child objects... and I granted read/execute permissions to my 'Domain Users'.....

Probably someone else can give you  better direction... :)

I hope that works..
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:53 PM