none
IISReset Issues after July 2018 Patches

Question

• Greetings,

I hope this is an appropriate place to pose this question (moderate away if needed)...

I am seeing an issue with IIS resets in Win2012 R2 after the July 2018 patches were installed in dev/test. If I issue an IIS reset either via inetmgr or command line, the w3wp.exe process is killed in Task Manager but the WWW publishing service stays in a stopping state. I haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere so I wanted to check with the community to see if I am the only one and if there are any thoughts on what the cause might be.

We found that rolling back the patches seems to fix the issue but not every server seems affected. Our Infra team found that recalling KB4338824 was enough to fix the issue on some servers but not all. I did also see that some folks reported issues installing KB4340558 but we did not have any problems with that. It's worth adding that one of our vendors informed us they had clients with similar issues but it doesn't appear app-specific as other systems experienced issues as well.

Here's what went in:

Other than the reset, we're not seeing any other odd behavior. Please let me know if anyone else is seeing this, or if there are ideas of what the cause may be. Of course if there is more info I can provide that would be helpful please let me know that as well and I'll do my best to accommodate. Thanks in advance!
    Friday, July 13, 2018 2:55 AM

All replies

• You'll reach more IIS experts over here in Microsoft official forums.

https://forums.iis.net/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:57 AM
  • Thanks Dave, I will try there.
    Friday, July 13, 2018 3:09 PM
  • Sounds good, you're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:10 PM
  • Did you open a thread or find one on this topic?  If so, could you provide a link?
    Friday, July 13, 2018 3:49 PM
  • I did but as a new user on the IIS forums the post is up for approval. I can post that here when it's available.

Some additional details from this morning's investigations in case it's of any help...

In concert with one of our vendors, we have identified a possible workaround for the issue. Please note, as a disclaimer, we are only about 30 min or so into testing at the time of writing this.

We found that if you have IIS Auth on the site level set to use a specific user for Anon Auth (service account, IUSR, etc.) it can cause this issue. If that user is already set as the ApplicationPoolIdentity, you choose to use that instead of the specific user at that level. I have performed a few IIS resets both via cmd and inetmgr and have seen the responses improve and the service does not get stuck stopping.

Unfortunately, I can't speak specifically as to why this is but it's likely related some of the security changes in these patches.

Friday, July 13, 2018 4:59 PM
    • Edited by dlanders1 Friday, July 13, 2018 7:44 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 6:16 PM
  • We are seeing similar issue on our UAT environment. After applying July month patches to Windows2008R2 servers, IIS reset command does not stop IIS cleanly and the server stops serving requests. Uninstalling patches fixes the issue. This doesnt seem to affect all servers like dlanders1 said. 
    Friday, July 13, 2018 6:53 PM
  • Look for KB articles containing the following text:

• Addressed issue in which some devices may experience stop error 0xD1 when you run network monitoring workloads.
    • Addresses an issue that may cause the restart of the SQL Server service to fail with the error, “TCP port is already in use”.
    • Addresses an issue that occurs when an administrator tries to stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC). The W3SVC remains in a "stopping" state, but cannot fully stop or it cannot be restarted.

Resolving updates will initially release from the catalog using URLS like

Example:

• Edited by eventtrac Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:03 AM