none
subfolders in workspace browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was creating KPIs in Dashboard Designer and was saving them in a folder in KPI directory.  Then I had a need to create a few more KPIs and to store them in a subfolder of that folder for my convenience.  I had no problems creating a subfolder there, however several minutes later, when I proceeded working with scorecards, etc. I noticed that my subfolder was gone, all my KPIs just mixed together in one folder.

Are subfolders in the workspace browser currently not supported/not recommended for use?  Are there plans to make them work in future releases?

Friday, March 7, 2008 12:49 AM

Answers

• OK - the way you describe it now does seem like a bug. I tried to reproduce it using the steps you described, but it seems to be working for me (which probably means I'm not doing the steps right Wink

If you have the time, would you mind sending me a few screen captures of the steps you're following, and I can make sure we get the bug filed?

My email address is gregbern at microsoft dot com.

GB

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

• hi Varya,

Subfolders are supported and also recommended. May be you didnt save your workspace browser at that time so u didnt see them when you reopened.

Regards,

Rohit K

Friday, March 7, 2008 7:21 AM
  • One thing to know about "display folders" in PerformancePoint Monitoring and Analytics is that they only exist if an item that uses that folder is in the workspace.

Think of a "display folder" as a property of the KPI, and the workspace browser shows all of the display folders it currently knows about. If you are familiar with Analysis Services, this is similar to how calculated members and sets are stored within a dimension.

So for example, if you "create" a display folder, but there are no KPIs in it, it will disappear next time you open the workspace file.

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi

Thank you very much for your answers, but I'd like to say a couple of things to clear everything up.

I have already noticed that if a folder in DD doesn't contain elements then it's not seen.  And I can understand that if I close my workspace without saving it then my changes might not be seen when I open it again. 

However what I'm doing is creating a new subfolder with KPIs in it, then I switch to working with scorecards and my KPI subfolders disappear...  I suppose that saving workspace every time I want to switch to another element in DD isn't the right idea, so this looks more like a bug to me.

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:06 PM
  • OK - the way you describe it now does seem like a bug. I tried to reproduce it using the steps you described, but it seems to be working for me (which probably means I'm not doing the steps right Wink

If you have the time, would you mind sending me a few screen captures of the steps you're following, and I can make sure we get the bug filed?

My email address is gregbern at microsoft dot com.

GB

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Seems like this is not reproducible each time because subfolders are working for me at this moment.  But I'll keep trying and will follow up with you on this as soon as I have a step-by-step description with screenshots.  I appreciate your help!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:45 PM