none
Microsoft Project 2010 crashes when loading MPP RRS feed

• Question

• Have been unable to load an MPP file that is 7MB in size.  Project file viewers (3rd party) appear to be able to read the file, and convert most of it to XML.  Is there a way to get Project 2010 to load in a mode that can fix a *possibly* corrupt MPP file, or another utility that will parse the data into a readable format?  This is not machine specific - have tried it on machines running 32bit, 64bit Project/Office, and with/without Project Service Pack 1. 

Ideally finding a solution to fix a corrupt MPP file would be most useful.  Barring this, finding a way to convert the file with as much intact info as possible would be of benefit.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hello Greg,

Could you please send the mpp file to me at ikocaman.pm[at].gmail.com ? I'd like to test it on my system.

Thanks & Regards,

Ismet

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:08 PM

All replies

• Gregory,

The only methods I know for fixing a corrupt Project file are those detailed in FAQ 43 on the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm. However, all of those methods require that you at least be able to open the file. A 7M Project file isn't outlandish so that isn't the problem. Just to cover the bases, have you tried opening it in an earlier version of Project (i.e. do you know for sure it is a Project 2010 file)?

If you are able to read it with a 3rd party viewer and then save as XML, that's probably going to be your best bet. Project will be able to open the XML format version. If you don't have an earlier version of the file that does open in Project, then bite the bullet and go with the 3rd party/XML conversion and re-create what doesn't come through.

John

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:24 PM
  • There are two alternative methods of opening files, both in File > Open.

In the open dialogue, select the file in question then the Open button enables, with drop down options to:

• Open Read Only
    • Open a Copy

Failing that, method 4 from the Q43 of the MVPS FAQs is the only one that will work with files that can't be opened:

1. Open a new blank project file
    2. Go to Insert/Project and insert the problem file.
    3. Select the first task which will be the insertion point summary line.
    4. Go to Project/Task Information/Advanced tab.
    5. Uncheck the "Link to Project" button and hit "OK".
    6. If the file isn't already expanded, expand it.
    7. Select all tasks below the top level summary line.
    8. Outdent the selected tasks.
    9. Delete the first task which previously was a summary line.
    10. Save the resulting file.

I've used this successfully in the past with 2010, although be aware that it will change all your unique IDs, so if you've got any other plans linking into this one, all the links will need to be rebuilt.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:46 PM
  • will try it, thanks much!

Greg 

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Andrew,

Does method 4 of FAQ 43 in fact work with Project files that can't be opened? I know it may be able to clear corruption of files that can be opened but I've never tried it with files that wouldn't open at all.

When you create a master/subproject structure which is the basis of method 4, Project does open the subproject file(s) in background  mode. That's how it gets the information to populate the data for the inserted project summary line.

I'd love to know for sure because I often recommend FAQ 43 for users who's issue is file corruption. Unfortunately with later versions of Project only a couple of the methods are still applicable.

John

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:26 AM
  • Hi John,

I've had MSP 2010 corruptions in the past where we can't open the file directly, but we could open it using method 4. I'm sure it won't work for all corrupt files, but it is an alternative mechanism worth trying.

As with many of these "corruptions", you never really get to the bottom of what they are, but my suspicion in that case was that a macro had gone rogue, and was preventing the file being opened directly, but opening in background mode meant the macros didn't execute. However, that's just conjecture, and I don't have hard evidence of that.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Like all Office programs if you use the file open dialog and hold Shift down whilst clicking the Open button, Auto_Open macros won't be run.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Andrew,

Thanks for the confirmation. I rarely get corruption in files I create or use but I do see a fair number of corrupt files from users who post, mostly in a master/subproject structure. And you are right, corruption is kind of a "black art", so it's worth trying as many methods as possible to recover the data. I've always liked method 4 in FAQ 43 although it doesn't always work. However, based on your experience, it looks like it has a little more power than I previous thought.

With regard to your theory on "rogue" macros, macros don't go rogue although they may exhibit unexpected behavior when presented with a set of criteria that wasn't tested during macro development. I've run into that condition many times with macros I've written, but I've never had one "lock up" a Project file so that it couldn't be opened. A much more likely source of Project file corruption is faulty user file structure and/or maintenance (e.g. links on summary lines, complex forward/backward pass task links, and even basic linked file structures like a resource pool or master/subproject). Then of course there is also the version corruption issues that always seem to pop up when new versions of Project are released.

But just to cover any additional cases maybe we should add Rod's suggestion for stopping event based macros from executing as another method in FAQ 43.

John

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Rod,

Might it be worth adding this little trick to FAQ 43? My feeling is that it can't hurt. If you think it worthwhile, I'll contact Mike, (I assume he is still the FAQ curator), and make it happen.

John

Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hello Greg,

Could you please send the mpp file to me at ikocaman.pm[at].gmail.com ? I'd like to test it on my system.

Thanks & Regards,

Ismet

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:08 PM