IAS to NPS migration - impact on source RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Before following the W2003 IAS to W2008 NPS migration process using iasmigreader I just want to confirm that the utility does NOT impact the source server in any way, such as stopping or pausing the service while exporting the configuration ?

We will be exporting some W2003 IAS servers but they must not be affected while in production until the target servers are operational.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to know if the tool IASmigreader will interrupt service when exporting configuration of IAS.

Use IASmigreader to export the configuration settings of IAS will not affect the service. At an elevated command prompt, type iasmigreader.exe, and then press ENTER. The migration tool will automatically export settings to a text file. Reference:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/omers/archive/2012/11/04/windows-2003-ias-radius-migration-to-windows-2008-r2-nps.aspx

Deploying the NPS server with a different host name and IP address, then there is no impact to the IAS server.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to know if the tool IASmigreader will interrupt service when exporting configuration of IAS.

Use IASmigreader to export the configuration settings of IAS will not affect the service. At an elevated command prompt, type iasmigreader.exe, and then press ENTER. The migration tool will automatically export settings to a text file. Reference:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/omers/archive/2012/11/04/windows-2003-ias-radius-migration-to-windows-2008-r2-nps.aspx

Deploying the NPS server with a different host name and IP address, then there is no impact to the IAS server.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:45 PM
  • Hi,

My pleasure.

It is better to do a test lab and make a detailed plan before migration.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:26 AM