Embedded Excel Objects in Word - Cross referrencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We put a lot of embedded excel objects in our word documents. I find that the excel objects corrupt frequently or they will cross reference each other for some reason. For example, if I have two embedded excel objects in a document, one of the objects will refer to the other. When I bring it up on the screen, the document appears fine. However when I go to print and / or re-open the object, it will change permanently to the other object. Usually the font and sizing will be enlarged and overlapped when I do re-open.

From my research, I know Excel objects in word are unstable at the best of times. Is there anything that can be done to minimize risks? (Other than not use excel in word) Is MS working to correct this?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is this excel object from external data resource?

Make sure you use embedded object, not linked object.

LINKED OBJECTS
    When an object is linked, information can be updated if the source file is modified. Linked data is stored in the source file. The Word file stores only the location of the source file, and it displays a representation of the linked data.

EMBEDDED OBJECTS
    When you embed an Excel object, information in the Word file doesn't change if you modify the source Excel file. Embedded objects become part of the Word file and, after they are inserted, they are no longer part of the source file.

If you using "linked" excel object and selected Update automatic links at open, the object data will be changed when you re-open the Word document.

If you using "embedded" excel object, the problem might occur if registry settings or global template corrupted, you can follow this KB article methods troubleshooting this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Best Regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:52 AM