none
Plan corruption / changed task hierarchy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

a project manager saved his plan to Project Server and he also did a local backup.

He opens the plan again next day.

He finds, that somewhere in the 500 tasks plan the tasks are somehow mixed. Some taks have become summary tasks that have not been before and some tasks moved within the plan.

Sounds somehow funny, but I have seen it.

And the worst thing - we restored the plan from archive database, did a copy / paste of all tasks to a completely new plan to get rid of possible corruption in the binary part of the plan - and after one week the same issue occured again - only with other tasks affected.

The only "special" in this plan that makes it different to most of the other about 1.000 in the system is that the plan contains quite many tasks that have been set to inactive.

Does anybody here know of such issues - perhaps in connection with inactive tasks?

Thanks a lot

Christoph

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is just a shot in the dark, but are the task ID's out of order as well?  If so, try sorting by ID to see if this fixes the issue.  I know it sounds stupid, but this has happened to a couple new to MS Project users on a few projects I have been on.  Where there schedule looks like the tasks moved around, but it was the user sorting the schedule by finish, or by start, and forgetting to resort by ID.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:47 PM
  • Hi

thanks for the try - but that is far too dark.

The project manager is an experienced one and he did nothing to the plan between saving the backup locally and opening the plan again from the server.

It is also not a cache issue - the plan is damaged also when opening from other clients.

Christoph

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:03 AM
  • Christoph:

This is 2010 with Server? What build? Are there blank lines in the project? Does the project have cross-project links? Links to summary tasks?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Hi Gary,

thanks for response.

SP1 / February CU for client and server.

No cross project links.

No blank lines.

But some summary tasks are linked.

Regards

Christoph

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Bad, bad, bad. I'll bet if you remove the summary task links that the problem will disappear. Project does not always detect circular relationships that occur as a result of summary task linking. Links that form scissor patterns are particualry problematic and can cause the sechedule to simply explode.

Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Hi Gary,

yes I know that summary tasks links can lead to problems with the calculation.

But this will not outdent a task to a summary task when you save / close / open the plan.

And it will not make a inactivated non-summary task suddenly appear as an activated summary tasks 50 rows lower in the plan.

Do you agree?

Christoph

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:24 AM
  • I completely disagree. I've seen it happen time after time. In fact, circular relationships are the only cause of this type of behavior I have ever seen. The worst culprits are cross-project and summary task links. I should also add that when you see seemingly random strange and unusual behaviors in Project Server, the problem is most often in the content, not the system.

Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:27 AM