none
Newbie to MOF RRS feed

• Question

• We are very new and green to MOF.     We have been direct to seek out advice how SMF/MOF and how it would relate to Windows 2008 within our environment.    There is so much to read on this subject and how does one seek value and what would pertain to our environment to create that value.      Any direction that you could give to use on this topic would be greatly appreciated.   I read where we should start with change and configuration SMF as that is an easy one to tackle.

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:04 PM

Answers

• Take a look at the MOF Reliability Workbook for Windows Server 2008 R2. The other MOF Reliability Workbooks may also be interesting to you. These cover maintenance and monitoring tasks, risk areas, and possible standard changes for the technology.

-Betsy

• Marked as answer by sabo_e Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:49 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hi Sabo_e,

Using MOF you have a great advantage that is a lot of additional documents, like Solution Accelerators, and for Windows Server 2008 this is not different. Take a look at this solution accelerators website: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/solution-accelerators.aspx

With this you can have a more technical approach, like:

·         Assess your existing environment with the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit

·         Secure your Windows Server infrastructure

·         Identify Server and Application Virtualization candidates

·         Deploy and Manage resources quickly and reliably

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi -

Take a look at "Getting Started with MOF 4".  It includes a number of scenarios that I think would be useful for you.  You can find that guide plus the Change and Configuration SMF guide and much more at www.microsoft.com/mof

-Betsy

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Besty,

I did read the getting started guide.    Since windows 2008 / windows 2008 R2 has been in our environment for quite some time, I am assuming we would want to focus on the operations phase of MOF.      When we use MOF will we be writing up a whole scenario - the scenario that was the closes to what we want to accomplish is "better way to operate and monitor services".    We do run SCOM 2007 in our environment.       We want to create value when using MOF and show that value during this whole process.    Can you point me to any SMF that might pertain to Windows 2008.    Hopefully you will lead us in some sort of direction.

Thanks in advance

Friday, May 6, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Take a look at the MOF Reliability Workbook for Windows Server 2008 R2. The other MOF Reliability Workbooks may also be interesting to you. These cover maintenance and monitoring tasks, risk areas, and possible standard changes for the technology.

-Betsy

Friday, May 6, 2011 4:13 PM
  • Hi Sabo_e,

Using MOF you have a great advantage that is a lot of additional documents, like Solution Accelerators, and for Windows Server 2008 this is not different. Take a look at this solution accelerators website: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/solution-accelerators.aspx

With this you can have a more technical approach, like:

·         Assess your existing environment with the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit

·         Secure your Windows Server infrastructure

·         Identify Server and Application Virtualization candidates

·         Deploy and Manage resources quickly and reliably

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Cleber Marques

Microsoft MVP & MCT | Charter Member: SCVMM & MDOP
    MOF Brazil Project: Simplifying IT Service Management
    My Blog | MOF.com.br | CleberMarques.com | CanalSystemCenter.com.br
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:58 AM