none
File Explorer on Windows 10 Home Edition is extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• File Explorer on my Windows 10 Home Edition is extremely slow.  This has been the case since I got my laptop a year ago.

At first I thought it was due to the bargain Toshiba hardware (Intel i3 with 6GB ram and standard Toshiba 500Gb HD).  Because nothing else was giving me a problem: Google Chrome and Libre Office ran fine, I tolerated the slow File Explorer performance.  

Last month, I thought that enough was enough, so I upgraded my laptop to 16Gb RAM, and a 1Tb Seagate FireCuda SSHD.  I re-installed Windows 10 using the Toshiba recovery media.    

To my surprise, while the entire system is now more responsive (eg. re-boot is now 40 seconds instead of 5+ minutes) -- File Explorer is STILL A DOG! What gives?  I've used Windows XP, NT, 7 and never experienced this when running File Explorer.  What can possibly justify adding a new "feature" that causes unacceptably sluggish behavior?

• Edited by algn2 Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• This site gives a lot of suggestions on what the problem could be and how to fix them. Please try these things first. Probably cortana and/or indexing is the problem and else probably the folder optimization (but then you would only find the problem in some folders probably).
    http://windowsreport.com/file-explorer-slow-windows-10/
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  

I tried all the suggestions, and still the problem persists.  I can't fully disable Cortana (ie. it doesn't pop up and harass me anymore, but it's still started by the system.  I would need policy editor,  which Microsoft has turned off for Windows 10 Home.  Besides, something as basic as File Explorer should work out of the box without any tweaks.  That was the case for Windows XP, NT, 7...  it was the case even for Windows 95 (20+ years ago!). 

I forgot to add that I applied all Microsoft updates, and ran chkdsk, sfc, and DISM .  As expected, since I just re-installed Windows 10 on a new SSHD, everything checked out OK.  

And still File Explorer can't sort files alphabetically in a folder that has less than 10 items inside without taking over 1 minute.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Hi algn2,

Try to use third party file manager, and compare between them.
    I'm using Q-Dir.

If Q-Dir works file, your File Explorer has something wrong.
    If Q-Dir is slow as File Explorer, I guess your storage has something wrong.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:48 AM
  • Hi ,

If you have tried all suggestions and the issue still persists, it is suggested to boot into clean boot environment to avoid 3rd party applications and services’ effects, then check again.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 3:13 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  

I tried all the suggestions, and still the problem persists.  I can't fully disable Cortana (ie. it doesn't pop up and harass me anymore, but it's still started by the system.  I would need policy editor,  which Microsoft has turned off for Windows 10 Home.  Besides, something as basic as File Explorer should work out of the box without any tweaks.  That was the case for Windows XP, NT, 7...  it was the case even for Windows 95 (20+ years ago!). 

I forgot to add that I applied all Microsoft updates, and ran chkdsk, sfc, and DISM .  As expected, since I just re-installed Windows 10 on a new SSHD, everything checked out OK.  

And still File Explorer can't sort files alphabetically in a folder that has less than 10 items inside without taking over 1 minute.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Do you have the problem in any folder or only some specific ones?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 9:19 AM
  • @Leo_Visser - 

The problem happens in any folder, and only if I change the sort view.  Otherwise, the folder displays immediately.  

If I change the sort order, then File Explorer takes anywhere from 5 to 20+ seconds to re-display (in the meanwhile, it draws a horizontal "progress" indicator).  This is irrespective of the content size of the directory: whether 1, 6 or many items (as in "C:\Program Files\" ).   If the folder is EMPTY, then immediate re-display is done after re-sorting.  

BTW, thanks for having read my post, and asking a pertinent question.   

Friday, May 12, 2017 6:00 PM
  • @Leo_Visser - 

The problem happens in any folder, and only if I change the sort view.  Otherwise, the folder displays immediately.  

If I change the sort order, then File Explorer takes anywhere from 5 to 20+ seconds to re-display (in the meanwhile, it draws a horizontal "progress" indicator).  This is irrespective of the content size of the directory: whether 1, 6 or many items (as in "C:\Program Files\" ).   If the folder is EMPTY, then immediate re-display is done after re-sorting.  

BTW, thanks for having read my post, and asking a pertinent question.   

Which columns are shown in the detailed view?
    Could you try changing one of the views to use only the columns Name and Type and see if the problem remains.
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:17 AM
  • You're kidding, right?  I just said that I installed a brand new disk and re-installed Windows 10, and updated Windows 10 with the standard updates.  You want me to re-install?  I think the problem lies with Microsoft.  

My question is: why is this bug here??  

- Windows 95 File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

- Windows XP File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

- Windows NT File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

What is so challenging with Windows 10, that all of a sudden, Microsoft can't list the contents of a small directory without waiting for a good part of a minute or more?

Tell you what...  I'm so sick and tired of this that I've installed "Explorer++" , which is  simple ... and best of all, works!!  Somehow, the Explorer++ developer(s) and all the  programmers for the file/directory browsers of previous Windows versions didn't encounter the same difficulties that the Windows 10 File Explorer team did.  When I'm done with this project, I'm shrinking my Windows 10 partition, and giving the rest to Ubuntu Linux, which actually works.       

• Edited by algn2 Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:33 PM
    Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:30 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.  From what I've read, QDir works well too, but I installed Explorer++ because it doesn't require a system installation.  A system installation may replace Windog10 FileExploder with the new app.  This may not be desirable because Windog10 FileExploder knows a lot about Windog10 internals, so replacing it with another app that may not know some of those internals/backdoors can cause problems.

I still have to use Windog10 FileExploder when editing items in the Start menu. 

Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:42 PM
  • Q-Dir does not replace Windows 10 File Explorer with Q-Dir. I use File Explorer and Q-Dir sometimes at the same time.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 1:03 AM
  • You're kidding, right?  I just said that I installed a brand new disk and re-installed Windows 10, and updated Windows 10 with the standard updates.  You want me to re-install?  I think the problem lies with Microsoft.  

My question is: why is this bug here??  

- Windows 95 File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

- Windows XP File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

- Windows NT File Explorer didn't have a problem showing the contents of a directory....

What is so challenging with Windows 10, that all of a sudden, Microsoft can't list the contents of a small directory without waiting for a good part of a minute or more?

Tell you what...  I'm so sick and tired of this that I've installed "Explorer++" , which is  simple ... and best of all, works!!  Somehow, the Explorer++ developer(s) and all the  programmers for the file/directory browsers of previous Windows versions didn't encounter the same difficulties that the Windows 10 File Explorer team did.  When I'm done with this project, I'm shrinking my Windows 10 partition, and giving the rest to Ubuntu Linux, which actually works.       

I feel your pain!

It is quite obvious that someone has done something to the way explorer handles files. Its not 3rd party. Its not some silly feature or some tweak that needs to be done. My laptop from 10 years ago blows my new windows 10 system away with speed and efficiency dealing with files.

I have never had soo many issues with errors, lag and downright non-functionality.

I tell everyone who will listen to stay away from MS products. I don't know what's going on over there but at some point they just stopped listening to their customers!

My computer needs to work efficiently. that is the #1 requirement. Whatever has been done to explorer needs to be undone!

30 sec to 1 min just to sort a directory of a few hundred files is absolutely ridiculous!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 6:50 PM
  • -- File Explorer is STILL A DOG!

If you still have your issue 4 months later...

...If your running external drives out of the USB, unplug them and then try.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:56 PM