STARTUP REPAIRV2 AUTOFAILOVER SOLUTION NEEDED RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DELL INSPIRON 531 which is giving me an Autofailover with an event name STARTUPREPAIRV2. The additional information is as follows:

Signtaure01: autofailover

02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.1800

03:6

04:524296

05:No root Cause

06:No no root cause

07:0

08:01

09: System Restora

10: 0

OS VERSION: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

I have already tried system repair, system restore, memory checks etc... I do not want to restore the computer to factory conditions which is an option because I will loose all my data. This problem started about two weeks when I received a message that updates were available to service pack 2 once it updated the computer does not cycle through the startup process. It goes into power save mode. I have back dated the history to an earlier time however its still not working. Since there is no startup disk to help what are my next steps.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

During the Windows Vista SP1 installation, this issue occurs when a third-party application holds open a file or locks a file that the Service Pack installation program has to use. For example, a third-party antivirus or antispyware application may cause this problem. If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

From your description, the computer will go to sleep mode which indicate it might has something to do with your display card driver, please download the latest display card driver from the manufacture's website on a working machine and install it to the problematic one.

If the issue persists, we can manually download SP1 and install it in Safe Mode to check the result.

Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Now, let's move to the PC and install SP1 in Safe Mode.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1.     Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

2.     Can you boot into normal mode? Are you in Safe Mode now?

Please refer to the following article to remove the USB flash drive and check the result:

Windows Vista or Windows 7 no longer starts, and the Startup Repair tool does not fix the problem

In case any corrupted system files is the root cause, please run the System File Checker (SFC) to repair Windows Vista system files

1. Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quote) in the Start Search bar, right-click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.

2. Input the following commands and press Enter after each line.

sfc /scannow

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow". This command will take several minutes to complete.

If the corrupted files are detected but cannot be fixed, we need Windows Vista Installation Disk to repair Windows.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 15, 2010 7:39 AM
  • To respond to your questions:

1.This problem began when I downloaded an update after receiving notice that updates were available. Based on what I can see from the system it was service pak1 for vista. After that uploaded the computer never rebooted normally I have a blue screen and it goes into a sleep mode / screen saver mode.

2.I can only reboot in safe mode. When I try in normal mode it goes into a sleep mode and does not load.

Will wait to hear back from you before I try the steps above.

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

During the Windows Vista SP1 installation, this issue occurs when a third-party application holds open a file or locks a file that the Service Pack installation program has to use. For example, a third-party antivirus or antispyware application may cause this problem. If you are running any third-party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

From your description, the computer will go to sleep mode which indicate it might has something to do with your display card driver, please download the latest display card driver from the manufacture's website on a working machine and install it to the problematic one.

If the issue persists, we can manually download SP1 and install it in Safe Mode to check the result.

Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Now, let's move to the PC and install SP1 in Safe Mode.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:32 AM