Multiselect treeview filter issue RRS feed

• Question

• I encountered this issue some time ago; posted a message to the beta newsgroup.  Hopefully someone is watching this newsgroup.  I decided opening a Connect item probably wouldn't do any good at this point based on the status of another Connect item filed by someone else several months ago (a different issue that I validated and reproduced) that received zero feedback.  Any feedback at all, from anyone anywhere, on this particular issue is appreciated:

We have encountered some issues with the multiselect tree view filter.

Issue #1: It appears to maintain its state between sessions; we attempted to turn off caching but it seems to have no effect.

Issue #2: The top and middle levels of checkboxes in the filter control are not tristate (that is they are not grayed out when checkboxes below them are checked). This means if you have a single checkbox checked at the bottom of a tree with 4 levels and dozens of items per level you could spend large amounts of time trying to locate the checked boxes, just to uncheck them!

Issue #3: The filter reports the exact label of the items that are checked, but does give any indication of where they are. To locate checked items you essentially have to expand every single node on every single level of the filter.

Issue #4: Unchecking a node in the control doesn't uncheck the child nodes.

Issue #5: The uncheck all option doesn't.

All of this makes this filter largely unusable for us from an end-user perspective. Our clients, some with large (and ever-expanding) hierarchies, might spend several minutes trying to navigate this control just to make sure all nodes are unchecked before they ever get to the point where they get to actually select the options they want. And if they want to change it they get to go through the process again.

I'm planning to open a connect bug on this issue after I talk to our UI designer and get some screenshots and some filter setting specifics, etc., from him, since this issue makes this filter almost completely unusable for us.

Thanks
    Michael Coles
    SQL Server MVP

"Pro SQL Server 2008 XML"
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-SQL-Server-2008-XML/dp/1590599837

Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:39 AM

Answers

• I totally know what you are saying and have ran into the same exact issues that you have mentioned.  Just wanted you to know that other people are just as frustrated with how this works.  For now the only way around it would be to create your own custom filter.  I haven't done this yet because of time, but it seems to be the only way to get around this unless maybe a fix will be coming out in SP2...anyone?  It just seems to me that this control should have never been designed like it currently is since it is completely unusable like you stated (unless we are both missing something).

Here are some links in regards to creating custom filters - Creating a Custom Dashboard Filter for PerformancePoint Server 2007 ~ Code Sample  and Creating a Free Form Text Search filters for Performance Point.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:34 PM