none
Script errors when opening Developer Tools (F12) RRS feed

• Question

• Since we upgraded our office computers to IE11, several people now get script errors whenever they open the Developer Tools (F12).  We're all on Win7 Pro and have the same updates installed.  The difference seems to be that those of us who have admin rights do not get any errors. 

There are 6 errors that popup sequentially.  The errors all start with "An error has occurred in the script on this page."  The first two error messages are:

Error: Expected ':'     URL: res://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\F12Resources.dll/23/pluginhost/plugin.f12.js"

Error: Object doesn't support this action    URL: res://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\F12Resources.dll/23/header/HeaderMerged.js

I've tried resetting IE (Internet Options-->Advanced-->Reset).  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE11.

Short of making everyone else admins, what else I should try?

Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

the first step in troubleshooting web browser issues is testing in noAddons mode. (on the user account)

sounds like you have an old version of Adobe Flash or PDF Reader installed. Have you applied all windows updates?

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by Deason WuModerator Monday, April 20, 2015 2:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by K Sommers Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:09 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:56 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your suggestions.  Here's what I did...

1.  Checked for any new Windows updates (none).

2.  Installed latest version of Adobe Reader and Flash.

3.  Restarted the computer, opened IE with no add-ons.

Still received the error messages when pressing F12. 

My theory about it being different for those with admin rights to their computers didn't pan out.  On a computer that is getting the errors with a standard user, I elevated the user to admin, restarted, opened IE and pressed F12 and got the same errors.  So it didn't matter that the user was admin or standard.

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

K

Monday, April 20, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

elevating a user account to admin does not disable their USER installed addons. Test in noAddons mode from the User account.

Possibly, the old IE7 Developer tools is still installed on the machines if they were previously upgraded from XP to win7.

How to remove the IE7 Developer Toolbar - Ehow.com

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 11:48 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately the eHow link redirects to 'How to USE the IE Developer Toolbar' (instead of how to remove it). 

I'm having trouble finding out how to remove/disable the web developer toolbar in Windows 7 Home Premium.  All the articles I'm finding show how to remove/disable it by using Local Group Policy Editor, which I don't have on Home Premium.

Any advice is appreciated.

Friday, May 29, 2015 7:03 PM
  • I think it can be uninstalled from the Programs and features control panel.

You can upgrade your windows version to a pro version for a better developer experience.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Yeah, I see how it looks like I'm Joe Consumer.  But I'm the IT guy for my company and we just happen to have this Win 7 Home Premium laptop in our fleet.  And it's giving me headaches.  We got it because it was cheap and we thought "Hey, it won't need to join the domain, so why bother with the pro version."  We're not doing that again.

I'm giving up on it.  But thanks for your help.

K

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:27 PM