none
What pre adobe software need to be installed in a system to make it applicable for Microsoft monthly adobe patches RRS feed

• Question

• I have IE (version 10. 0.9200.21928) in my server .What should be installed in my server to make it applicable for MS16-154. Please help
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you could try a manual install from the Adobe Flash control panel....Start>Control Panel>Flash 32>Update tab....

Probably, your servers already have installed the out-of-date MS ActiveX Control for Shockwave Flash. To check, from IE go Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons...

you should see three entries for "Flash Objects"... the first two are for Adobe Flash and Adobe Flash Director.

Further down the list there MAY be an entry for "Microsoft Windows third-party Component".. which will have  the "Shockwave Flash Component" listed. Double click to show its properties page....

Name:                   Shockwave Flash Object
    Publisher:              Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Component
    Type:                   ActiveX Control
    Architecture:           32-bit and 64-bit
    Version:                24.0.0.186
    File date:              ‎Monday, ‎12 ‎December ‎2016, ‏‎10:56 AM
    Date last accessed:     ‎Today, ‎21 ‎December ‎2016, ‏‎12 minutes ago
    Class ID:               {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    Use count:              3964
    Block count:            18265
    File:                   Flash.ocx
    Folder:                 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

If you don't find it there, from the Addons Manager Show dropdown select Downloaded Program Files. If Shockwave Flash is not there then refer to the following links.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4a178833-1fe0-4cec-81b0-bb8769f0ea03/how-do-i-install-flash-player-in-server-2012?forum=winserver8gen

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2819372 - security advisory....

However I don't see any purpose in installing this Shockwave Flash component on a server machine, unless you want to distribute it to your client machines with an update.... you should remove it from the server and delete it from the Download Programs Folder (this folder is no longer used and was left over from the XP era)

This is (perhaps) the reason why the updates don't take on your machines... because the update to Shockwave Flash (flash.ocx) does not apply to server versions of windows (flash.ocx is a client component, assuming that you do not use your servers to casually browse the web with a web browser). as these are security updates... the exact content and nature of the update is not told to MS MVP's, so I have no idea exactly what 'security' features it addresses...

here is a public website that is using the out-of-date 'Shockwave Flash' control.... visit it with ActiveX filtering turned off to test....discover.com

You should consider upgrading your clients to IE11 and deploying Enterprise Site Mode Lists to manage Compatibility with your Intranet assets.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

IE runs in Enhance Protected Mode on server versions of windows... you should not use server versions of windows to test your websites... use a windows client instead to access/test your intranet sites. There are too many security settings on server versions of windows to change to make it 'behave' like a client version.... Not using Enhance Protected Mode on server versions of windows could put your whole organization at risk.

By default pdf documents on Intranet sites, should be able to be opened with third-party ActiveX controls on server versions of IE... check that Internet Options>Advanced tab, "Do not save encrypted files to disk" is unchecked.

By default (EPM) only domains in the Trusted and Intranet zones are allowed to do downloads, so to install third-party and MS software on server versions of windows the site domain must be in the Trusted or Intranet zone.... use the File>Properties menu in IE to determine which IE security zone a domain has been mapped to.... to download and install MSDN or TechNet software for your server, you should already have *.Microsoft.com and *.live.com in your servers' Trusted Sites list.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi Rob ,

Sorry i didn't get your point . My requirement is to test Adobe monthly patches in our test servers but adobe patches are not shown as applicable to our servers. Kindly let me know how to make 2012 and 2012R2 servers applicable to Microsoft adobe monthly patches 

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

that would be Adobe Flash updates... that on machines with IE11 are included with browser security updates.

A msi package is available for download from Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows Server 2012 (KB2755399)

ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2755399

From the Windows Update control panel, the Update History will list the KB and MSU numbers which you can use to search for any hot patches.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows Server 2012 (KB2755399) msi did not get installed in my 2012 server . it shows " the update is not applicable to your computer "

I have IE (version 10. 0.9200.21928) in  2012 server. Please help none of our test servers are applicable to Microsoft adobe patches .. What should be installed in servers to make it applicable for adobe monthly patches 

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

you could try a manual install from the Adobe Flash control panel....Start>Control Panel>Flash 32>Update tab....

Probably, your servers already have installed the out-of-date MS ActiveX Control for Shockwave Flash. To check, from IE go Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons...

you should see three entries for "Flash Objects"... the first two are for Adobe Flash and Adobe Flash Director.

Further down the list there MAY be an entry for "Microsoft Windows third-party Component".. which will have  the "Shockwave Flash Component" listed. Double click to show its properties page....

Name:                   Shockwave Flash Object
    Publisher:              Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Component
    Type:                   ActiveX Control
    Architecture:           32-bit and 64-bit
    Version:                24.0.0.186
    File date:              ‎Monday, ‎12 ‎December ‎2016, ‏‎10:56 AM
    Date last accessed:     ‎Today, ‎21 ‎December ‎2016, ‏‎12 minutes ago
    Class ID:               {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    Use count:              3964
    Block count:            18265
    File:                   Flash.ocx
    Folder:                 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

If you don't find it there, from the Addons Manager Show dropdown select Downloaded Program Files. If Shockwave Flash is not there then refer to the following links.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4a178833-1fe0-4cec-81b0-bb8769f0ea03/how-do-i-install-flash-player-in-server-2012?forum=winserver8gen

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2819372 - security advisory....

However I don't see any purpose in installing this Shockwave Flash component on a server machine, unless you want to distribute it to your client machines with an update.... you should remove it from the server and delete it from the Download Programs Folder (this folder is no longer used and was left over from the XP era)

This is (perhaps) the reason why the updates don't take on your machines... because the update to Shockwave Flash (flash.ocx) does not apply to server versions of windows (flash.ocx is a client component, assuming that you do not use your servers to casually browse the web with a web browser). as these are security updates... the exact content and nature of the update is not told to MS MVP's, so I have no idea exactly what 'security' features it addresses...

here is a public website that is using the out-of-date 'Shockwave Flash' control.... visit it with ActiveX filtering turned off to test....discover.com

You should consider upgrading your clients to IE11 and deploying Enterprise Site Mode Lists to manage Compatibility with your Intranet assets.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:01 AM
  • Thank you Very much Rob . No words to describe your Help . I have enable Desktop Experience in roles . adobe patches shown as applicable . Once Again Thanks .
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the feedback....." I have enable Desktop Experience in roles ."

who-da-thought that?... I come from a security conscious enterprise....I think of servers as black boxes that I have no physical access to.... don't enable Desktop Experience on your production machines... the bare bones mode is a lot faster. Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 11:48 PM