"While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting following error message in my SharePoint logs

Error message: While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at:
    Level: Unexpected
    Category:
    Publishing
    Process: w3wp.exe (0x0B14)

Any idea how to resolve this issue ?

FYI - Following are the details of my SharePoint Environment

Product: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Enterprise)
    Version: 12.0.6425.1000
    Farm Topology: Medium (2 servers)

Regards

Muhammad Tariq khan
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:07 AM Quotes put around error message text in title. otherwise it looks like your problem description
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the error you mentioned fits into the two following categories:
    1.        If the message starts as “While initializing navigation, found Area placeholder but object was not found at: /SITES/SITECOLLECTION/SUBSITE”, it means that the currently logged in user is not a member of that sub site.
    2.        If the message starts as “While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at: /SITES/SITECOLLECTION/page.aspx”, it means that the page is either in “checked out” state or it’s not a publishing page.
    In my opinion, I guess your issue belongs to the second one. Here is a link about determining Publishing Page check-in/publish status programmatically, for more information, you can refer to the following this one:
    http://www.sharepointoverflow.com/questions/9128/determine-publishing-page-check-in-publish-status-programmatically

Best regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, March 18, 2011 7:28 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The error message “Unexpected While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at” indicates the page that the web part is trying to reference has "lost" its navigation properties, or become corrupt.

Here is a workaround for your reference:

1.    Delete the page to the recycle bin,

2.    Check the logs to see if the error still occurs

3.    If not, restore the page from the recycle bin

Hope the information can be helpful.

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Dear Pratik Vyas,

Appreciate your help and prompt reply

I will try your workaround. But is there any patch or proper solution for this problem so that it may not re-occur again in the future ?

regards

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

As you have already mentioned you are on SP2 , I am not quite sure but you can upgrade your serevr with latest patches released by MS for MOSS 

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the error you mentioned fits into the two following categories:
    1.        If the message starts as “While initializing navigation, found Area placeholder but object was not found at: /SITES/SITECOLLECTION/SUBSITE”, it means that the currently logged in user is not a member of that sub site.
    2.        If the message starts as “While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at: /SITES/SITECOLLECTION/page.aspx”, it means that the page is either in “checked out” state or it’s not a publishing page.
    In my opinion, I guess your issue belongs to the second one. Here is a link about determining Publishing Page check-in/publish status programmatically, for more information, you can refer to the following this one:
    http://www.sharepointoverflow.com/questions/9128/determine-publishing-page-check-in-publish-status-programmatically

Best regards
    David Hu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, March 18, 2011 7:28 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Dear David HM,

Yes you are right. My problem belongs to second category (as you mentioned). Following is the complete error message

Error Message: While initializing navigation, found Page placeholder but object was not found at: /HR/PAGES/DEFAULT_COPY(1).ASPX

Let me check-in my aspx pages in Pages Library , then I will monitor SharePoint logs for a day or two. After it I will get back to you if the problem is resolved.

If you have any further information for this problem, please share with us.

Regards

Muhammad Tariq khan
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:47 AM