view form template RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to share the infopath form, that I created with other users for them to view.  I saved the template to a network share where they all have permission.  when they attempt to open the template in the infopath on their machine it tells them they can not because it it publiched to somewhere else and then it lists the profile on my c:

why is it saying this?  and more importantly how can I stop it from doing so so that others can view the template?

Friday, October 9, 2009 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

If you have selected the option to publish directly to your sharepoint server through publishing wizard, and it its working fine for you then there is no need to change the strategy.

If you want to share your infopath template you have to publish it to shared folder as Ahmed mentioned above, and don't move your published infopath .xsn, then only people can open it correctly from same location.

Note: You are only allowed to move published .xsn file if you are uploading .Xsn template in moss using Central Admin site.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    • Marked as answer by scott.tabor Monday, October 12, 2009 7:22 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• You have to publish the form to a shared folder. It seems you published it on your machine and then copied it to a shared folder, this will not work.  Publish it to a shared folder
    SSA - http://sharepointblogs.com/ssa
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:45 PM
  • when I published it I chose the option to publish it to an sharepoint site.  do I have to choose the option to publish it to a shared network location?
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Yes. Form published to a SharePoint site can only be accessed from SharePoint. If you want users to use the form from a shared folder, you need to publish it to a shared folder.
    SSA - http://sharepointblogs.com/ssa
    • Proposed as answer by dave mocha Friday, October 9, 2009 8:51 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Hi Scott,

It seems like you have not published your form correctly, the error you have mentioned suggest that you are trying to open source file from different location.

Select .Xsn file in windows explorer 
    Right click -> Design
    File -> Publish

Then follow the wizard and publish to Network location, once published to hard drive, you can move it to any location and can upload it through central admin, though you should not try to edit published (.xsn) file in Infopath 2007.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    Friday, October 9, 2009 9:33 PM
  • as of now I have chosen the option to publish my form to my sharepoint server.  Are you saying that if I choose the option to publish to a network location I can movs the .xsn file around?

what I am trying to do is to have one copy of the .xsn file on a network share for people to look at. and then another copy to publish.  or is it a better idea to just publish it to a network location?

Monday, October 12, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hi Scott,

If you have selected the option to publish directly to your sharepoint server through publishing wizard, and it its working fine for you then there is no need to change the strategy.

If you want to share your infopath template you have to publish it to shared folder as Ahmed mentioned above, and don't move your published infopath .xsn, then only people can open it correctly from same location.

Note: You are only allowed to move published .xsn file if you are uploading .Xsn template in moss using Central Admin site.

Ashraf ul Islam
    Sharepoint Consultant
    • Marked as answer by scott.tabor Monday, October 12, 2009 7:22 PM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:14 PM
  • OK thanks.  but so i know, how exactly would I upload the template to the sharepoint site?  would i do that before or after publishing it?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 4:04 PM