none
WSUS can auto approve, SCCM can not? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Am I correct in thinking that with WSUS I can automatically approve updates based on rules I configure, but with SCCM I can not?

This may seem a very basic question, but without the MS hype and marketing, what advantage does SCCM give over WSUS when it comes to deploying updates if they can not be auto approved based on my criteria?

Can I still use WSUS to deploy updates, which I find extremely easy and effective, and SCCM to run reports on update status of the machines?

I am using SMS 3 in my live environment and configuring SCCM 2007 in my test domain. My idea is to replace SMS in the next couple of months. I manage about 150 machines, and deploy apps through SMS and updates with WSUS now, but do not anticipate deploying any OS with SMS or SCCM.

It seems to me that the configuration of updates through SCCM is very difficult (I haven't gotten it to work yet, and I blame myself for not knowing it well enough - so far) when compared to WSUS. Or is it just me?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:34 AM

Answers

• Yes, that's true. No auto approve.

The advantage of SCCM is way better reporting and deployment options, especially when it comes to larger infrastructures.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:43 PM