none
How can I insert Assignmet Units field in Gantt chart? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder the way that 'Assignment Units' field can be display in Gantt chart.

Usually 'Assignmet Units' is used in "Time Usage" table, however I want to see 'Assignment Units' field in Gantt chart.

This field itself can be included in Gantt chart, but there is no data even though it is displayed in "Time Usage"

Do you know how include 'Assignment Units' field in Gantt chart properly?

BR,

Novice

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:22 AM

Answers

• Guillaume is spot on, but I'll highlight how that applies to your example from the URL you sent:

In the Gantt Chart view, assignment unit's doesn't apply because gantt displays tasks, not assignments. You do get a sneak peak at some of the info by way of the Resource Names field, and at the end of the bar itself (top picture, blue outline). In Task Usage view, the assignment units don't actually show on the task row (bottom picture, green outline), they show on the assignment row (bottom picture, blue outline). This is because the task doesn't get assigned to work a task, a resource gets assigned to work a task. The number is only relevant to the resource, so it's always paired to the resource on that particular task (aka, an assignment).

Consider a different scenario: a task with multiple resource assignments. What number would display for assignment units on the task? None - because the assignment units is representative for the resource assignment only. In your example, pretend you keep Kevin assigned to task 3 at 50%, but also assign Peter at 98%... so for your bottom picture, a new row would show for Peter at 98%, and in the top picture, you'd see two names in resource names and at the end of the bar, each paired with their assignment unit of 50 and 98, respectively.

Ian

• Marked as answer by 초보자2 Friday, November 17, 2017 1:58 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is an assignment level field, so indeed it cannot be display in the task form next to the Gantt Chart. That being said, it is shown next to the resource name in the resource column. Also in the Gantt chart next to the resource name.

Note that you can see this information in the task usage view.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, November 13, 2017 11:28 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

My Understanding is like that base on your answering

- Assignment Unit could not be display in Gantt Chart

- But your final statement said that it is possible.

So Please see below URL regarding my question.

And please let me know whether this phenamenon is normal

- Reference URL : https://answers.microsoft.com/ko-kr/msoffice/forum/msoffice_project-mso_windows8-mso_2016/ms-project-%eb%b0%b0%ec%a0%95/19ed20f2-b030-4716-b40a-c3d20075603d?tm=1510625155882

(Due to my right, I Can not upload image and link url)

BR,

Novice

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:14 AM
  • Guillaume is spot on, but I'll highlight how that applies to your example from the URL you sent:

In the Gantt Chart view, assignment unit's doesn't apply because gantt displays tasks, not assignments. You do get a sneak peak at some of the info by way of the Resource Names field, and at the end of the bar itself (top picture, blue outline). In Task Usage view, the assignment units don't actually show on the task row (bottom picture, green outline), they show on the assignment row (bottom picture, blue outline). This is because the task doesn't get assigned to work a task, a resource gets assigned to work a task. The number is only relevant to the resource, so it's always paired to the resource on that particular task (aka, an assignment).

Consider a different scenario: a task with multiple resource assignments. What number would display for assignment units on the task? None - because the assignment units is representative for the resource assignment only. In your example, pretend you keep Kevin assigned to task 3 at 50%, but also assign Peter at 98%... so for your bottom picture, a new row would show for Peter at 98%, and in the top picture, you'd see two names in resource names and at the end of the bar, each paired with their assignment unit of 50 and 98, respectively.

Ian

• Marked as answer by 초보자2 Friday, November 17, 2017 1:58 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:38 PM