Upgrading Motherboard & CPU RRS feed

• Question

• Just need to have this question answred: I built a computer system about 2 years ago using an ASUS Striker Extreme + Intel Core 2 Duo processor with Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Everything works fine - never had a problem. Now I wish to upgrade motherboard to Striker II Extreme + Intel Quad core. Will there be an issue with simply replacing the MB & CPU, while leaving the OS as it is - or will I have to rebuild the entire box?

Andy
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

• First, I'll echo the party line (as well as good 'build sense'):  anytime that you replace a motherboard (especially with one that uses a different chipset), best-practice (read:  best way to not have the system go pear-shaped, or do something wierd later) is to reinstall Windows.
    Simply transplant the hard drive (and, with it, the existing Windows install), and, well, it may or may not even boot into Windows without throwing a BSoD (if not just stall.)

Now, here's where Vista and XP differ (and, it's Vista for the better here):
    In Vista, Sysprep can (if used with the right switch) remove all machine-dependent settings, allowing it to re-adapt to its new enviroment.  However, doing this also removes all user information (essentially, it deletes your user profile.)
    Therefore, if you do this, you'll first need to back up your entire user profile (C:\Users\<username>), so that you can restore that later.
    Command:
    C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    Will do as it indicates:  remove all hardware-specific information, remove user accounts, and shut the system down.  However, Windows itself (as well as installed programs) will remain intact.
    When you boot the 'new' system (after transferring the HDD to the new board), Windows will reconfigure itself to the new enviroment, and present you with the same OOBE screen (where you configure network, user accounts, etc.) that you saw when you first booted into Windows.

Disclaimer:
    This has worked for others (however, I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it myself); YMMV.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:52 AM

All replies

• First, I'll echo the party line (as well as good 'build sense'):  anytime that you replace a motherboard (especially with one that uses a different chipset), best-practice (read:  best way to not have the system go pear-shaped, or do something wierd later) is to reinstall Windows.
    Simply transplant the hard drive (and, with it, the existing Windows install), and, well, it may or may not even boot into Windows without throwing a BSoD (if not just stall.)

Now, here's where Vista and XP differ (and, it's Vista for the better here):
    In Vista, Sysprep can (if used with the right switch) remove all machine-dependent settings, allowing it to re-adapt to its new enviroment.  However, doing this also removes all user information (essentially, it deletes your user profile.)
    Therefore, if you do this, you'll first need to back up your entire user profile (C:\Users\<username>), so that you can restore that later.
    Command:
    C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    Will do as it indicates:  remove all hardware-specific information, remove user accounts, and shut the system down.  However, Windows itself (as well as installed programs) will remain intact.
    When you boot the 'new' system (after transferring the HDD to the new board), Windows will reconfigure itself to the new enviroment, and present you with the same OOBE screen (where you configure network, user accounts, etc.) that you saw when you first booted into Windows.

Disclaimer:
    This has worked for others (however, I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it myself); YMMV.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:52 AM
  • Thanx. I always backup everything. I don't mind re-installing Vista, but all those updates to Vist would be wiped out?

Andy
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Yes, they would.  Fresh OS install = everything on that partition gets wiped out.
    What's a few runs thru Windows Update (unless you're on dial-up)?
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:16 PM