none
Top-level reports in MS Projects 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking to run quite a broad range of reports through some type of project management software.

My team is currently running 55 projects, and they vary in size considerably. Some are small projects of around £2,000, and have about 10 tasks, and will run for about 2 weeks. Others are £220,000, involve 5 phases of 50 tasks each, and will run for about 6 months. Due to the small, quick nature of some of the projects, we need users to be able to simply use a template – not get bogged down with altering a design of a form.

Another very important function is the ability to have top-level reporting so that a manager can have a status report on each project, especially to flag up incomplete/overdue tasks.

My challenge is to bring on board a system that will cope with this. 

Can Projects 2013 do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick.

Friday, October 23, 2015 2:48 PM

All replies

• abitnewtothis --

To meet your reporting requirements and your template requirements, I believe you would want to use either Project Server or Project Online, along with Microsoft Project to make this all happen.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 23, 2015 3:14 PM
  • I agree with Dale, you would want Project Online to look across all projects. I would also like to add that no tool on its own will give you what you want. You need trained people with working processes to support them as well as a tool.

Given that, Project professional and Project online can certainly report across your projects.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, October 25, 2015 8:12 PM
  • I recommended you that deploy the project server 2013 on-premises because in future may be you expands the projects.Project server 2013 BI is best for high level reporting.
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:02 AM
  • All,

Thanks for sharing your experience; I will research further into Project Server & Project Online.  

Monday, October 26, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Hi Rick,

Have you tried using Master Project and sub project functionality. Reports can be found on the master projects for all the subprojects inserted in it.

Regards,

Saurav Chakravorty

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:56 AM
  • Hi Saurav Chakravorty,

you raise a valid point regarding the reports of the master plans,the reporting of the master plan(projects and sub projects) is not an easy and some time you cannot generate the reports according to your requirements, therefore i recommend  to you that if not force by management then don't use the master pan(projects and sub projects),publish all the project individually. 

Note: I am facing lot of problem in master plan reporting so i will publish all the project individually in next fiscal year.

if you have good skill in sql queries then you will create lots of reports
    • Edited by NajeebUllah Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:44 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Using MS Project Professional 2013, you can generate reports across all projects. take a look at One page Executive Report , I have developed. You may like it.

• Proposed as answer by sunil d rane Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:38 AM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:37 AM