Possible to Customize Aero Snap? RRS feed

• Question

• In the (amazingly super awesome) Engineering Windows 7 blog, some geniuses at Microsoft detailed exactly how Snap came to be in this world, and all the changes and tweaks they made (and why) along the way.

It's an amzing thing to read, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Seriously.

But I'm curious: is there any way to customize the behavior?  Even if it required registry editing or (less desirable) a 3rd party program, I'd like to configure Aero Snap.

• Specifically, I want the "drag to top of screen" gesture to trigger the vertical-only maximize function.  It's far easier to drag a window straight up than it is to find the top resize area at the border edge and double-click.  Plus, if I actually wanted it full-screen, I could just double-click the titlebar, like always.

OR
    • If anyone knows a keyboard shortcut to vertical maximize (similar to Command+Up Arrow for full maximize), I'd appreciate that tip too.  I try not to take my hands off the keyboard.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

- Shawn

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 4, 2010 12:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Shawn,

As for as I know, windows 7 has only one place to change the Aero setting:

Control Panel->ease of Access->Make the mouse easier to use->check "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" so that you can disable the function.

I do not think there is any other option to costomize such build in features. I am afraid vertical-only maximize function could not be achieved. However, a third party software PowerResizer did run fine in windows 7. Hope it can be of help.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Shawn,

As for as I know, windows 7 has only one place to change the Aero setting:

Control Panel->ease of Access->Make the mouse easier to use->check "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" so that you can disable the function.

I do not think there is any other option to costomize such build in features. I am afraid vertical-only maximize function could not be achieved. However, a third party software PowerResizer did run fine in windows 7. Hope it can be of help.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:03 AM
    • If anyone knows a keyboard shortcut to vertical maximize (similar to Command+Up Arrow for full maximize), I'd appreciate that tip too.  I try not to take my hands off the keyboard.

WIN+Shift+Up should do the trick for you. :)

Also, while it is a 3rd party app, GridMove is a superb, infinitely customizable app (though you'll have to get your hands dirty in editing some .ini files) for moving and resizing windows.

• Proposed as answer by Sandwiched Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:40 PM
    • Edited by Sandwiched Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:41 PM Added GridMove recommendation
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:39 PM