Missing appointments/meetings RRS feed

• Question

• I have been missing all my appointments and meetings over the past month.  I dont know what has changed.  My boss sends me meeting invites and they are in my calendar, but i am missing them over and over and over.  Is there a way for me to be sure that my Windows 10/Outlook 2019 computer will not let me miss meetings anymore?  Please help!!!  What are the best practices/settings for getting reminded that you have an important meeting coming up.
    Monday, July 1, 2019 6:14 PM

All replies

• >>My boss sends me meeting invites and they are in my calendar, but i am missing them over and over and over.

By default, Outlook will send you a reminder 15 minutes before meeting. Do you see the reminder?

If you are currently busy in other things, it’s recommended to click Snooze instead of Dismiss. So, you will receive another reminder before meeting.

Please check following options via File > Options > Advanced. Make sure following options are selected.

Besides, we can also peak your calendar to To-Do bar to display your upcoming calendar events. Please refer to this article.

In addition, an option for Exchange server or Outlook.com users is to set the account up in Windows Mail app, turning off sync for mail and contacts. Calendar reminders will use the Windows reminder system and display prominently in the corner of your screen, on top of any open programs. Unlike the orange flash on the Task Bar, it's hard to miss the Windows Calendar reminders.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Thank you Perry.  I do have my reminders set to "show reminders" and "play a reminder sound".  I dont see the option to show reminders on top of other windows.  Did that change or move with Office 2019?   I think having that option would help.  

I also noticed that the reminder sound doesnt help me because i have a headset plugged in as my default audio device.  I only put the headset on when i'm taking a call or listening to a web conference so i dont hear the calendar reminder sound.  Is there a way to have notification sounds go to my speakers and all other audio go to my headset (at the same time) without switching devices?  That might be a question for another forum.

I dont want to use the Mail app because it is redundant when you have Outlook and causes confusion (it seems like Windows gives me two different notifications about emails).  Is there a way for Windows to notify me based on what is in my Outlook calendar, without having to use the Mail app?

Any other tips?  I desperately need to get this fixed.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 1:20 PM
  • It's true that the option "show reminders on top of other windows" is available for Office 365.

As mentioned above, we can set the account up in Windows Mail app, turning off sync for mail and contacts. Calendar reminders will use the Windows reminder system and display prominently in the corner of your screen, on top of any open programs.

Please refer to the steps below:

1. Add your Exchange or Outlook.com account to Mail app. Win 10 will automatically configure this account on Calendar App too.

2. Open Start > Settings > System > Notification&Actions.

3. Turn on notifications for Outlook and Calendar but turn off the option for Mail.

When tested here, I can receive calendar notifications from Windows calendar but will not get duplicated alert for new emails.

You can check this on your side. If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, July 4, 2019 4:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tested this on your side?

I am writing to see if this works for you.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, July 5, 2019 6:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, July 5, 2019 6:37 AM
    • Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, July 8, 2019 3:16 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Are there anything else I can do for you? It's recommended to mark useful reply as an answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread :)

If you have other concern, please feel free to post back. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, July 8, 2019 3:18 AM
  • Hi Perry. Thank you for all this helpful information. Before i set up Calendar, i wanted to ask about the Outlook notification setting.  It appears Outlook can notify you when you get a new email, so how come it cant notify you about a calendar reminder?  Is there a setting somewhere that makes Windows 10 use the same notification process it uses for new emails for new calendar reminders?
    Monday, July 8, 2019 3:01 PM
  • >> It appears Outlook can notify you when you get a new email, so how come it cant notify you about a calendar reminder?

Outlook fires a notification for both new emails, upcoming calendar items or tasks. Reminders are generated from local data file.

To see reminder settings, you can click on the meeting and then check if Reminder option set to None.

If you don't receive reminders for calendar items at all, there may be a corrupted reminder setting or a corrupted data file. I'd like to recommend you following the steps above to repair this feature.

1. Clears and regenerates reminders.

Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /cleanreminders and then press Enter.

2. Repair data file

>> Is there a setting somewhere that makes Windows 10 use the same notification process it uses for new emails for new calendar reminders?

Windows use its own notification which is different from Outlook reminders.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:19 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:18 AM
  • Just check if anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:04 AM
  • Can Windows 10 notification system leverage Outlook's calendar notifications?  If Win10 can send me a notification about a new email, why cant it do the same about an appointment reminder?  I'm talking about the Win10 notificiation system, not the Outlook calendar notiification system.

Thanks

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:18 PM
  • Can Windows 10 notification system leverage Outlook's calendar notifications?  If Win10 can send me a notification about a new email, why cant it do the same about an appointment reminder?  I'm talking about the Win10 notificiation system, not the Outlook calendar notiification system.

Thanks

I'm puzzled of your description.  Windows 10 has its own notification system. It doesn't affect Outlook reminders. They are two things and work separately.

As you said you've missed meeting reminders on Outlook client, we can do two things here:

1. Repair Outlook notification function to see why it doesn't show reminders for meetings.

2. Use notification from Win 10 Calendar app to workaround this issue.

So, could I know whether you didn't receive calendar reminders from Outlook at all? Have you tried all te suggestion above? Does it work?

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, July 22, 2019 1:17 AM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 1:17 AM
  • Let me rephrase my question.  Windows 10 has a notifications system, right?  Similar to how an Android has a notification system.  On my Android, i can configure Outlook to "show notifications" and i can tell it to send me "event reminders".  On Windows 10, i can also configure Outlook to "show notifications" but i don't see the option for "event reminders" like i do on my Android.   Is this a limitation with the Windows version of Outlook?  

Also, i noticed that if i dont have Outlook running in the background, i dont get the reminders.  Is that correct?

Thanks!

Monday, July 22, 2019 3:29 PM
  • >>i noticed that if i dont have Outlook running in the background, i dont get the reminders.  Is that correct?

This is true that Reminders need to work when Outlook is running.

>>On Windows 10, i can also configure Outlook to "show notifications" but i don't see the option for "event reminders" like i do on my Android.   Is this a limitation with the Windows version of Outlook? 

For Outlook desktop client, the feature is called ‘Reminders’. Outlook reminders will pop up over your email or calendar to let you know a scheduled event is about to start.

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook desktop client, I’m not familiar with "event reminders" on Outlook for Android. But from your description, "event reminders" may be not available for Outlook desktop client.

You can check more details of this feature from this link: Set or remove reminders

If you have further concern, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:56 AM