none
Manual sysprep of Win10 pc. RRS feed

• Question

• I've worked with MDT for so long now that I don't really recall running sysprep manually.

For reasons I'm not sure of, I'm tasked with sysprepping a physical machine and using AOMEI to capture it. I tried a shortcut method, by using a working unattend.xml from my MDT server, copied it to C: of this pc and ran:

sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:C:\unattend.xml

The pc shut down, but when coming up, it states:

The pc needs to be repaired. File:\windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or contains errors.
    One thing I read is to disable Secure Boot. This is for Win10 1703. I'm using the same XML to sysprep this as is in MDT\Deploy\Control.

Any idea about this error? Rather, any idea on the correct way to sysprep this pc so I can capture it with that software? I hope to use the existing unattend file I created in MDT for this.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:04 PM

All replies

• After posting this, I realized I'm thinking backwards. I don't need to sysprep the computer I'm going to capture. I need to sysprep the target pc. I guess I can manually do this after deploying with AOMEI. Yet, my question still remains...how to sysprep a computer that has an image deployed to it.
    I deployed an image to a pc just now with MDT...and I'm trying to sysprep it manually with the same unattend I used in MDT. I do get the error above:
    File:\windows\system32\winload.efi is missing or contains errors.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to perform the capture part manually then you've run run the sysprep (Generalize Mode) in reference machine.once sysprep will complete without any issues try to boot your Machine in WinPE Environment with bootable winpe USB Stick then only you can perform the capturing part by running the command line.

Dism /Capture-Image /Compress:maximum /ImageFile:<Location where want to save Image>capture.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"capture"

Make sure to create a bootable USB Stick which contains the WinPE ISO Files. 

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:15 PM
  • What I need to do is merely run sysprep on a computer which has been captured and deployed using a program called AOMEI. I know this is not MDT and this isn't by choice. I am tasked with doing this. I can deploy the image using that software, but I need to ONLY sysprep the pc AFTER it's been imaged.

My hope is to use the same unattend.xml I use in MDT so that all of the answers are applied during boot up. So my question is...using sysprep from a desktop of a pc to merely clear out the unique identifiers so that these computers appear unique on our network. I would hope that every single thing else remains the same.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:19 PM
  • When I copy my unattend from MDT to the pc I'm trying to sysprep, it blows up by not parsing Specialize/Shell-Setup. I've already spent tons of time getting this to work for MDT and here we are, with some online software. I renamed CopyProfile=true to false, which is the only real thing in this section.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:24 PM
  • Yeah.. sometimes it happens as windows unable to parse the Specialize phase. The IEWelcomeMsg was present in the Unattended.xml file under Component Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer. Try to delete the line.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:34 PM
  • I do have that disabled in my unattend. I'm just reinventing the wheel wasting time on this. I found an extra user account on the pc so I deleted that in the reg and explorer...giving it another go here.....
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:39 PM