none
Windows 8.1 deployment and the store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I'm in the process of creating a Windows 8.1 image and I'm trying to understand how the Windows store works within the enterprise, does anyone know how the process should work in terms of...

Can a domain joined Windows 8.1 device open the Windows store and download apps with the domain users logon account? this is without forcing the user to go through the process of turning that account into a live account (which we need to avoid)

Can we download some 'free' applications from the Windows store (for example Lync) add this to our image and deploy for all users? we would need to be able to fully automate the process as our GOLD image and desktop deployment process are both unattended using MDT.

Can we update applications during the Windows 8.1 deployment process without any user interaction?

Hope someone has some answers as I've struggled to find the answers on Bing (...or any other well known search engines!)

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To access the store a Microsoft Account is requiered. This means that any AD user who wants to access the store will have to link his AD account to a Microsoft Account which is a manual end-user operation.

To add modern ui apps to your reference image you would need the original appx file to use the "AppxPackage" command from DISM. Unfortunately only the app's developper could give you that file and I'm not sure they'd be likely to do so.

In my opinion, unless you have developper that creates your own modern ui apps forget about managing that kind of app in your reference image, the best you can do is to remove some of the default apps with Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage

Mickael,
    My technet galleries contributions :
    ConfigMgr driver injector
    SCCM Collection splitter
    ConfigMgr TS Tools
    Customize WinPE images with powershell

• Proposed as answer by mponsot Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:32 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:09 PM