Microsoft Edge fails to recover last opened tabs after separate intance in In-Private mode stalls RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've experiencing an awkward behavior where Microsoft Edge failed to recover last opened tabs after its separate instance running in In-Private more stalled.

Precondition:

1) Two running instances:

• Normal instance
    • In-private mode instance

2) Normal instance is set to open with tabs opened in the last session.

3) In-private instance stalls due to (possibly) issue on the Images tab in, whoops, Google.

Repro:

1. Close the normal instance.

1a. Keeps the In-Private instance running.

2. Click Edge button on the taskbar.

Nothing happens.

2. Click the Edge button on the taskbar holding the SHIFT key.

A new instance of Edge opens.

For some reason, Edge opened with, seesh (!) Yandex tab. I admit, this PC has had Yandex as its default page before, but I swear I've got rid of Yandex remnants.

1) I do NOT have their BHOs.

2) I set GOOG as my default search provider months ago.

3) I don't have spyware, because normally, Edge opens as desired: it opens tabs from the last session.

If I had spyware, I believe, Edge should've shown Yandex every time I open it. It starts with Yandex only if you click Edge icon on the taskbar holding SHIFT.

I believe what happed is this:

1) Since In-Private mode stalled, Edge has had some instances running, and that is why it did NOT start a new normal instance when I clicked its icon in the taskbar.

2) I don't know where Yandex comes from, but I believe, previous user of this PC has had Yandex set as a default search option for all users, and so when I click Edge icon while holding SHIFT, Edge starts using settings for all users.

3) When Edge started, the newly opened Yandex tab overwrote the previously saved tab session.

Could it be it?

Questions

• What would I do in the future to avoid Edge losing its tabs history should one of its instances stall?
    • Is there any way to recover tabs from the 'overridden' session? History doesn't reveal the tabs, because it seems that you have to visit each tab for its site to appear in History.
    • How do I totally get rid of that Yandex scum?

Looks like I have to at least remove this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{8C3078A0-9AAB-4371-85D1-656CA8E46EE8}

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:47 AM

All replies

• 1) Two running instances:

I have always assumed that only the last closed window would have its tabs saved.  Do you think more is intended?

Otherwise there is always ProcMon to find out how it is implemented and then learn how to use that, just as we had to do with IE.  FWIW I haven't done that yet with Edge.

BTW I have noticed what you have mentioned but in my case it only opens About:Blank which is my Home page.  So then it seems like: you had your chance with the last session the first time; here's your Home page;  however, this may also be a function of my settings because I don't always want to see my last session.

So, assuming that I notice that there are two Edge windows open and I want to keep both sets of tabs but close both I either drag the tabs to combine them in one window or more likely create a saved tab group and then not worry about what "open last session" will look like.  If I don't notice (as is frequently the case) too bad, my fault for not being cautious enough.

I think the good news is that Edge seems to do a better job of at least saving the last session than IE does--hence why it seems natural to me to have to do all the manual precautions.  For IE if I really cared about the set of tabs I had accumulated I would be doing such things in both windows but at least IE has the really convenient save tab group command.  Edge needs that too.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Exotic Hadron,

How did you configure following settings? Did the Yandex website show when we open normal Microsoft Edge instance? Is this a domain environment? Is there any Microsoft Edge gpo deployed to the machine?

There is a key point I want to point out. A new tab is different with a new Window.

"2. Click Edge button on the taskbar.
    Nothing happens."
    I am not sure about this operation. If you mean right click the Microsoft Edge then choose Microsoft Edge, it is available for me to open a Microsoft Edge window(not a tab). Pressing shift and click Microsoft Edge will open a new Microsoft Edge window, too.

"•What would I do in the future to avoid Edge losing its tabs history should one of its instances stall"
    If you are using private model, the history won`t be kept. We could get the notification when we open Microsoft Edge with "Private mode".

"•Is there any way to recover tabs from the 'overridden' session? History doesn't reveal the tabs, because it seems that you have to visit each tab for its site to appear in History."
    I am not sure the this purpose. We should access that website to make it appear in the history. If you want to it always be there, we could try to add the website to "Favorite".

For the last question, try the following steps to reset Microsoft Edge settings.
    Delete everything here:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Open an admin PowerShell prompt and run:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:10 AM