none
Where is the "Administrative Time Requests" function found in O365 Project Online? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been an active user of Project Server (on premise) for many versions now and have always leveraged the 'Administrative Time Request' function for my department to submit vacation requests.  What I like about it is that once approved by their timesheet manager, it updates all of the project 'available work time' for that resource.

I'm in the beginning stages of an O365 implementation including the Project Online function and I'm updating my training materials and cannot for the life of me find where they moved this function in the new Online version of Project Server (Project Online).

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks-

Tom Grounds

Friday, September 6, 2013 2:53 AM

All replies

• On my O365 account I click on the 'gear' in the upper right hand corner and select PWA Settings.  You should see it there under Time and Task Management.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Tom,

Since 2010 version, the behavior for "Administrative Time Request" has changed somewhat. There is no separate menu option to request Admin time off (like in 2007). You just input the "Planned" hours you need off under the "Vacation" or similar non-work time category.

The behavior is same in 2013 as well.

Joe's answer below, will help you "configure" the administrative categories to put the time in.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Thanks, I've figured that part out Prasanna.  The only element missing now is the approval.  I can't just have resources planning 'PTO' without their timesheet manager approving the time off and have it impact project plans.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:16 PM
  • So, you need three things in place:

when you actually are in the PWA Settings page, and are configuring the Administrative Time Categories, you should be able to specify whether the line needs Approval or not.

In the Resource Center, for each resource a Timesheet Manager must be specified.

Appropriate permissions for the Timesheet Manager should be setup.

Once you have that, as soon as a resource submits PTO, the Timesheet Manager gets the approval. 

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Correct - but that is submitting the actual time taken.  In the scenario where I have a resource requesting future time, the process as I understand it is:

1) On the timesheet - navigate to a future period - Thanksgiving week, for example

2) I have created a new Admin Time task called 'Future PTO' that doesn't automatically appear, but the resource can add the line to the timesheet.

3) They update the 'Planned Time' for the day after Thanksgiving to 8 and it successfully makes this a 'non-working day' for that resource

Given that they are not submitting the timesheet yet, because we are not to that week, and even when I have the select the new 'Future PTO' task and submit status for that one row, it doesn't send anything anywhere for a manager to approve the request for the future time off.  That's my dilemma.  That is what was so great about the 'Request Administrative Time' option in the 2007 version.  I have been searching like crazy to find the new process for this. 

I really appreciate the input, but think I may be stuck here and have to leverage a manual process outside of this to request future PTO and then use these steps to actually record it in the tool to have it reflected.

Tom.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Ah! I see where you are stuck.

Once time is put in on the "Planned" row, you do not send the whole Timesheet. You "Send Status" for that one line. I do not have access to a PS2013 environ at this very moment, but I remember the button called something very similar.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Yes, it's 'Send Progress for Selected Task - Update the project plan with the hours you've entered for the selected tasks in this period.  This does not send your timesheet for approval''. 

That's was my thought as well but unfortunately I don't receive anything to be approved for those resources where I'm the timesheet manager.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:45 PM
  • That is odd. Let me do some testing and get back to you with results.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:36 PM