none
Tape List missing necessary tape RRS feed

• Question

• I have two separate protection groups - System State Protection Group and Default Protection Group.

We rotate between 3 separate drives - Firestreamer is used to emulate tape.

Disk 2 and 3 are currently in the library, but Disk 3 isn't assigned to the protection group "Default Protection Group", it is only assigned System State Protection. 

Naturally - long term backup jobs failed and DPM is asking me to add a free tape - I can't mark Disk 3 as free because it is assigned to "System State Protection Group"

My question is - how would I go about assigning Disk 3 to both System State Protection and Default Protection Group? 

Monday, November 3, 2014 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of DPM please ?

Not understanding the whole disk# thing.  DPM writes to tapes (physical or virtual) and you configure protection groups to use a library and number of drives in the library to be used for backups.    You can configure DPM to allow multiple protection groups to use the same tapes, that is called tape co-location and depending on the DPM version, enabling that feature is different.

DPM 2010 - enabling data co-location

DPM 2012 - Colocate data from different protection groups on tape

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 3, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Sorry, DPM 2010.

There are 3 physical disks that act as Tape Backup. 

There are 2 Protection Groups and 1 Library. 

At this moment there are two disks (2, and 3) in the library - however Disk 3 isn't assigned to protection group "Default Protection Group"

Here's what Disk 3 looks like in the Management - Library.

Notice that Protection Groups: only has the System State Protection Group. I'm wondering what is required for it to show both System State Protection Group and "Default Protection Group" which Disk 2 shows - 

When looking at the top of the Management - Library I see "Co-location of data on tape: Enabled".

Monday, November 3, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

What that is showing is that there are only data sources from NCMC System State Protection Group written on the one tape with barcode ending in R, and data sources from both protection groups written on the other tape with barcode ending in P.    So this means you do have tape co-location enabled and DPM is able to write multiple protection groups to the same tape.

So what exactly is your problem ? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, November 3, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Backup jobs for NCMC Default Protection Group are failing because it is timing out due to not finding a free tape. In this case Disk3 should be free to write to as it doesn't have any data written to it from the NCMC Default Protection Group unless I am misunderstanding how it should be working.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

Check the co-location settings as per the below blog - there is a spreadsheet at the bottom to assist you in troubleshooting why a tape may no longer be used for new backups even when it's not marked offsite ready.

Things you can do to help Data Protection Manager utilize your tapes full capacity

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 4:03 PM
  • I'm sorry - I misread what you said in your excel sheet. 

Both tapes are showing "Offsite Ready" and is calling for a free tape. However the tape I'm wanting to use (Disk3) should be available as it hasn't backed up "Default Protection Group"

After re-reading the blog I found some insight into the issue I'm facing:

When a tape is marked offsite ready, no additional data sets will be written to that tape until ALL recovery points expire. [The existing data on the tape I'm using, thought from a different Protection Group, doesn't expire until 11/8] Once a tape is marked as expired, DPM will show the tape as expired in the DPM console and can overwrite the tape during subsequent backups. DPM will always favor a free tape over an expired tape when it searches for a tape to use if a new tape is required. 

So that answers my question of "Why is this happening" now I have to move to "What do I have to do to fix it?" As it stands right now - "Default Protection Group" will not get backed up all week until 11/8/14 @ 11:00PM. [This is a weekly run job]

If "Default Protection Group" were to not get backed up this week, and resume backing up @ it's scheduled time I'm guessing that this will put it back on track, since right now the tape I'm wanting to use "Disk3" already has data written to it from a different PG. 

I apologize about the n00bish questions and confusion here - I did not have this job when this was setup and all people involved in setting this up are no longer here and not able to be contacted :|. I'm learning as I'm going. 

• Edited by jowalker153 Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:36 PM I need to learn to read...
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:20 PM
  • Hi,

OK - If the tape is marked offsite ready, then as noted it will not be used for additional backups until all datasets have expired.

Offsite ready is set when one of the below conditions are true.

- The tape is full.
     - One of the datasets has expired.
     - Write-period ratio has been crossed. (By default, this is first backup time + 15 percent of retention range.)

I don't thing you are using firestreamer in an optimal way - you should create virtual tapes so you have adequate free tapes available for new backups each week.  That and tweak the co-location settings so tapes can be used for a longer period of time.  

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Sorry, these names like "Disk1" "Disk2" and "Disk3" are virtual tapes. 

From what I'm understanding it sounds like tweaking of the TapeExpiryTolerance will need to be made. Just looking through the registry and I noticed that HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Colocation doesn't exist. I understand that to mean then that DPM is using the .17 by default. 

"This is a registry setting and indicates the time window within which the expiry date of the next dataset to be written to the tape must fall." - I understand this to mean that the next dataset to be written will expire by .17 x retentionperiod. 

This all got FUBAR'd when we had to replace a disk and a week went without doing our "weekly swap". Previous users would only use 1 external drive at a time - everything backs up @ 11PM Saturday - Monday they would swap to another drive (Disk 1, 2, 3). Once this scheduling got all messed up - add to the fact that another user broke a PG without documenting what he was doing... it's just been a mess. 

I think I'm just too attached to the "old way" of doing things and trying to swap disks out - I'll probably just grab a USB hub - add all 3 disks to Firestreamer - and then get back to it. This rotating disks thing I think is the crux of my problem :|

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, just make a bunch of media and add it to the firestreamer library and let DPM rotate thru them naturally.

To be sure tapes expire on time you need to add this registry value.  This was a fix introduced in DPM 2010 UR6.

•Tapes are not reusable until the day after the day of expiry. This is true because DPM waits until midnight to run the reclamation job that marks tapes as reusable. If a user wants a tape to be reusable on the same day on which it expires, the user should follow these steps:

1.Create the following registry key:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManager

2.Create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32-bit DWORD value, and then set its value data to 1.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Yep - last time you assisted me you mentioned the same thing. 

I completed that last time we spoke :)

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:42 PM