Using APP-V to repackage applications. RRS feed

• Question

• I've read in a unofficial source that i can use APP-V to make/repackage MSI packages (like WISE Package studio, AdminStudio, ...) Is this true ?

Obs: I don't pretend/want to run the app virtually.

Eduardo Leal
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:36 AM

Answers

• You cannot create a msi using App-V Sequencer from an .exe. You will always have to use other software to do that (like Adminstudio or Wise Package Studio), using App-V means you virtualize the application (any installer can be used like .exe), but you will also have to use the App-V infrastructure (at least the App-V client). When you virtualize the application, you don't need install it on the machine anymore. The msi you CAN create with App-V sequencer are the shortcuts only, you still need the .SFT file (somewhere on the network or locally on the pc) and you still need an App-V Management Server to authenticate.
    • Marked as answer by Eduardo Leal Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:48 AM
  • The msi you CAN create with App-V sequencer are the shortcuts only, you still need the .SFT file (somewhere on the network or locally on the pc) and you still need an App-V Management Server to authenticate.

If you have configured App-V Client to stand-alone mode (RequireAuthorizationIfCached = 0) you don't need any additional infrastructure (i.e. Management Server) after delivering the Sequencer-generated MSI to the client. Of course, depending on if you load the SFT immediately or leave it for later streaming, you might also need AllowIndependentFileStreaming=1 if your SFT file is in the file-share or local directory.

But whatever the scenario or deployment mechanism, with App-V virtualized application you will always need App-V Client on the machine to execute the application. It's not installed (even though using wrapper MSI might fool you to think like that), it's virtual.

/Kalle

• Marked as answer by Eduardo Leal Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yeah, that seems to be a shortened version of the story.

See this sales page;

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/adminstudio.htm

/Znack

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:35 AM
  • I've read in a unofficial source that i can use APP-V to make/repackage MSI packages (like WISE Package studio, AdminStudio, ...) Is this true ?

Obs: I don't pretend/want to run the app virtually.

I you don't want to run apps as virtualized, then App-V won't help you. App-V is specifically a technology to run applications virtualized, not an installer technology.

Some manufacturers of traditional repackagers (like Flexera znack mentioned) contain App-V package conversion/output in their suites but the result in that case is virtual application.

/Kalle

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, In some cases i´ll have the app in stand-alone mode (virtualized). In this case i have the dependecy of APP-V client. On the other hand, There's a necessity to generate install packages (msi) to install the app at the machine, for example: When i have .Exe installer that i can´t run in quiet (hidden) mode, or make some settings at the install. For this scenario, I´ll need a tool (like Admin studio) to generate this MSI installer to be capable of install this app in quiet (hidden) mode. My doubt is if there's a way to create this MSI installer with APP-V. Or i'll always depend of a 3rd party software.
    Eduardo Leal
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:40 PM
  • You cannot create a msi using App-V Sequencer from an .exe. You will always have to use other software to do that (like Adminstudio or Wise Package Studio), using App-V means you virtualize the application (any installer can be used like .exe), but you will also have to use the App-V infrastructure (at least the App-V client). When you virtualize the application, you don't need install it on the machine anymore. The msi you CAN create with App-V sequencer are the shortcuts only, you still need the .SFT file (somewhere on the network or locally on the pc) and you still need an App-V Management Server to authenticate.
    • Marked as answer by Eduardo Leal Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:07 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:48 AM
  • The msi you CAN create with App-V sequencer are the shortcuts only, you still need the .SFT file (somewhere on the network or locally on the pc) and you still need an App-V Management Server to authenticate.

If you have configured App-V Client to stand-alone mode (RequireAuthorizationIfCached = 0) you don't need any additional infrastructure (i.e. Management Server) after delivering the Sequencer-generated MSI to the client. Of course, depending on if you load the SFT immediately or leave it for later streaming, you might also need AllowIndependentFileStreaming=1 if your SFT file is in the file-share or local directory.

But whatever the scenario or deployment mechanism, with App-V virtualized application you will always need App-V Client on the machine to execute the application. It's not installed (even though using wrapper MSI might fool you to think like that), it's virtual.

/Kalle

• Marked as answer by Eduardo Leal Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:51 AM
  • Thanks,

Exactly as i was thinking, but as i'm starting to study app-v funcionalites, i decide to ask.

Thanks on more time.

[]s

Eduardo Leal
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:13 PM
  • app-v application is done to those application those which do not have drivers in their application and those which do not have kernel drivers services

app-v u can only deploy in app-v client machine only

pradeep chandra guttula

Monday, May 26, 2014 2:21 PM
  • app-v application is done to those application those which do not have drivers in their application and those which do not have kernel drivers services

pradeep chandra guttula

pradeep chandra guttula