Windows 7 slows down after 30 minutes of using Ingres database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

I am experiencing a problem with Windows 7 and Ingres database on new computers in my company.

Computers are running Windows 7 64 bit version and I have only problem with Ingres which after about 30 min of work starts to run very slow, and only solution is to exit and rerun application again.

Since we have purchased 50 new PCs with Windows 7 and Ingres database is are primary tool, this is very aggravating.

We are using HP desktop PCs with preinstalled Windows 7 64 bit, also Ingres is running on latest version of Open Road (program language) and with latest ODBC drivers.

Is there anyone who had similar problems with applications slowing down after some time, and could someone tell me how can I try to resolve this issue. What steps should I make?

Best regards.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:39 PM

All replies

• DB

We need the system specs, network specs, is the dbase stored on a network drive?  You might also want to upload an event viewer log for us to take a look at.

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Hi everyone.

I am experiencing a problem with Windows 7 and Ingres database on new computers in my company.

Computers are running Windows 7 64 bit version and I have only problem with Ingres which after about 30 min of work starts to run very slow, and only solution is to exit and rerun application again.

Since we have purchased 50 new PCs with Windows 7 and Ingres database is are primary tool, this is very aggravating.

We are using HP desktop PCs with preinstalled Windows 7 64 bit, also Ingres is running on latest version of Open Road (program language) and with latest ODBC drivers.

Is there anyone who had similar problems with applications slowing down after some time, and could someone tell me how can I try to resolve this issue. What steps should I make?

Best regards.

Just to clarify, the Ingres application slows down not Windows 7, and I have checked task manager to see running services and there is no application or service that would use resources to the limits.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 5:57 PM
  • DB

Apologies.  Suspect the best place for specific information about the slowdown would be with the developer. Since it appears to be (outside of my skillset) a SQL dbase you might want to repost this in the relevant sql section http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/

We might still be able to glean something from the event viewer logs but I suspect it would just reflect the app slow down.  your choice.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Thank you, I will re-post this question under SQL section.

I just like to add that this does not happen under Windows XP 32 bit, so that was the main reason I posted here.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:11 PM
  • DB

Is the Dbase version current? multithreaded?  Still might be able to get something from event viewer.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:00 PM
  • I have checked event viewer and there is no error. Only thing that I can think of is problem with indexing service and energy saving mode where HDD is turned of by default after 10 min of inactivity. These two things are the only difference between Windows 7 and Windows XP apart 32 vs 64 bit, that I can think of. 

I will try to do these things tomorrow and hope for the best.

Thank you for your help.

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Hi,

If there is any update, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Well we are currently running additional tests. We have not manage to fix this issue. Apparently according to some other people, the problem is in Windows 7 connection to Ingres database. For some reason when connection is idle for 20 min or more it becomes very slow. I hope I will get some logs from server tomorrow and then I will compare them with logs form computer and data from service analyzer.

I will post if I find anything useful.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:28 PM