Business Services Configuration in SCSM or SCOM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for someone with both SCOM 2012 and SCSM 2012 experience who can advise the best and/or preferred method of creating/populating Business Services in Service Manager 2012...

The reason that I ask is that once we have a rock solid process for logging Incidents and Service Request, our next major priorities will be to get "basic" reporting & change management working.

Change Management will obviously use the Business Services in the usual way - to manage changes that will affect the business service, whereas the level of reporting we want to obtain from the "basic" reporting is what Incidents have been occurring (possibly which categories they were logged under) and which Business service the Incidents Affected.

Now, this is where I'm in two minds:

On one hand a "non-technical" Microsoft field engineer suggested to create business service "place holders" and then configure SCSM to use these "dummy" (non-configured) business services for reporting purposes.

On the other hand we have SCOM 2012 and I believe the preferred method is to import SCOM distributed Apps as Business services which has many additional long term benefits like being able to manage the end-to-end "Availability" of a Business Service etc.

My biggest issue with creating "place holder" Business Services in SCSM is the amount of time it will take to configure all the templates with the "dummy" services only to have to reconfigure everything once we Import the "Real" Business Services from distributed apps configured in SCOM. It seems like a LOT of double handling to me.

So, my question is basically (bare with me because I have VERY little SCOM knowledge) is there a way to create an MP in SCOM which would contain a "Distributed Application Template" (VERY basic Config) which can simply be duplicated MANY times and change it's name to match each of our Business Services. Once done the MP containing the Distributed Apps can be imported to SCSM and then the Business Service would still be "Dummy" blank place holders but they've also be the legitimate/actual Distributed apps that we will want to be using later down the track.

If we went down this path and we kept an unsealed copy of this management pack, would it also be possible to go back and make changes to the MANY distributed apps to update the CI relationship information in SCSM?

Hope this makes sense... basically I thought it would make more sense to create the "dummy" Business Services in SCOM and import them to SCSM for use now and in the future rather than create the "dummy" business services in SCSM now only to replace them with new imported Business Services from SCOM.

Your thoughts, ideas and guidance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:28 AM

All replies

• Self Bump
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:49 AM
  • We have Savision in our dev environment and it is working great. It will soon be up for a transition to live if we can get the purchase approved.

Google Savision Service Manager.

It has a feature called LiveMaps, that will create DA/Business services and sync them to SCSM. Once synced you can add CI's to a CR and actually see the impact on all related DA/BS's. It is a bit pricey though, just FYI.

I would not recommend going down the "Dummy" route. Just buid your DA's from scom proper and import them into SM. Because removing DA's and MP's related to DA's from your SM environment is a giant pain in the butt if you find you need to start over. We recently ran into this with our planned redeployment of our DA/BS model that is converting us to Savision/Livemaps. 

All the removing of our old items is very similar to removing junk DA's that ended up not being reusable.

• Edited by Anthony K Andrews Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:13 PM Added more information.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:10 PM
  • Hi,

I have experience of following the latter model (business services created in SCSM, not my choice) and subsequently realizing the sensible way is to create the "placeholders" in SCOM, export them and import them into SCSM.

I'm not a SCOM expert but I'm bit of an XML hacker and did look into this a while back. At the time it appeared to me that such MPs could be generated through code or possibly even XSLT. Unfortunately I haven't had time to progress this so can't comment further on that route.

A search for "scom distributed application template" gave this interesting link which seems to take quite a lot of the pain out of manually creating the placeholders in SCOM, depending on your requirements. I'm not familiar enough with SCOM's PowerShell interface to know whether further automation is possible.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:33 AM