none
End User Recovery - Not working after replacing DPM server RRS feed

• Question

• I built a new DPM server to replace the old one. Both running 2012 R2.
    EUR was working fine with the old server.

I followed the documentation to "Move DPM to a new server with different settings"
    This all went very smoothly, Protection groups re-created and all working perfectly. I enabled End-User Recovery.  But thus far, this is not working.  I verified that the DPM shares exist, and if I browse to them on DPM server itself, the previous versions work.  But not from the client machines- it just says "There are no previous versions".

One thing I tried- from the Schema Master DC I mapped a drive to the new DPM server and manually ran the Schema Extension, entering the name of the new DPM server.  This hasn't helped.  Not sure what's wrong.

Appreciate the help.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:32 PM

Answers

• wow... thanks technet forum for being soooo helpful and interested

Anyway, I opened a case with Microsoft and got this fixed. 
    For anyone who runs into this problem, this was our solution.

Scenario:
    You are replacing a DPM server with a new DPM server and follow the technet instructions--
    "Move DPM to a new server with different settings"

Problem:
    End User Recovery doesn't work. When trying to access "Previous versions" in your file system, you get the message, "There are no previous versions"

Reason for Problem:
    The pointers for End User Recovery are still pointing to the shares from the old DPM server, which still exist in Active Directory, and conflict with the new pointers.  They must be removed so the new share pointers can be readded and take effect..
    The technet instructions currently do not address this.

Solution:

• Login to a domain controller. Open AdsiEdit.  Expand CN=System
    • We removed the container "CN=MS-ShareMapConfiguration" from Active Directory.
    • Then, from the DC,  using a UNC path, we ran the setup DPMADSchemaExtension.exe. " located on the DPM server. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\End User Recovery)
    • Also tried to extend the schema using ‘configure Active Directory’ option from DPM console.
    • Then we Disabled End User Recovery option from DPM console.
    • From DPM- We then removed protection for the file shares from the Protection Group.
    • At this point make sure the shares no longer exist in DPM (if they do- Stop Sharing)
    • Then we readded the protection for the file shares
    • Then we ran a consistency check for those file shares
    • Then we re-enabled EUR
    • Check to see that the shares are now recreated in DPM
    • From DC, refresh ADSIedit and MS-ShareMapConfiguration should be recreated, and also (hopefully) the new pointers to the DPM shares
    • Test End User Recovery from a client workstation

Microsoft told me that they will (at some point) update the documentation to include this process, whether as a step-by-step or as a powershell script remains to be seen.

Friday, July 1, 2016 1:42 PM

All replies

• I also followed this article:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2012/05/21/data-protection-manager-support-for-end-user-recovery-on-mountpoint-shares/

This fixes the \\?\ prefix on the UNC shares.
    However, this hasn't helped either...

Could use some help with this.  Anyone?
    thanks

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:22 PM
  • BUMP - Anyone?
    Monday, June 27, 2016 1:04 PM
  • wow... thanks technet forum for being soooo helpful and interested

Anyway, I opened a case with Microsoft and got this fixed. 
    For anyone who runs into this problem, this was our solution.

Scenario:
    You are replacing a DPM server with a new DPM server and follow the technet instructions--
    "Move DPM to a new server with different settings"

Problem:
    End User Recovery doesn't work. When trying to access "Previous versions" in your file system, you get the message, "There are no previous versions"

Reason for Problem:
    The pointers for End User Recovery are still pointing to the shares from the old DPM server, which still exist in Active Directory, and conflict with the new pointers.  They must be removed so the new share pointers can be readded and take effect..
    The technet instructions currently do not address this.

Solution:

• Login to a domain controller. Open AdsiEdit.  Expand CN=System
    • We removed the container "CN=MS-ShareMapConfiguration" from Active Directory.
    • Then, from the DC,  using a UNC path, we ran the setup DPMADSchemaExtension.exe. " located on the DPM server. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\End User Recovery)
    • Also tried to extend the schema using ‘configure Active Directory’ option from DPM console.
    • Then we Disabled End User Recovery option from DPM console.
    • From DPM- We then removed protection for the file shares from the Protection Group.
    • At this point make sure the shares no longer exist in DPM (if they do- Stop Sharing)
    • Then we readded the protection for the file shares
    • Then we ran a consistency check for those file shares
    • Then we re-enabled EUR
    • Check to see that the shares are now recreated in DPM
    • From DC, refresh ADSIedit and MS-ShareMapConfiguration should be recreated, and also (hopefully) the new pointers to the DPM shares
    • Test End User Recovery from a client workstation

Microsoft told me that they will (at some point) update the documentation to include this process, whether as a step-by-step or as a powershell script remains to be seen.

Friday, July 1, 2016 1:42 PM