SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Config fails - can't install or uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting the following error when trying to run the SP2010 Config Wizard:  "Failed to create the configuration datagase.

An exception of type System.FormatException was thrown. Additional exception information: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
    System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
      at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.GetInstalledProductIds()
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create(SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword, SecureString masterPassphrase)
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ConfigurationDatabaseTask.Run()
      at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

My server is running 2008 R2 with all the latest patches and updates.  The SP2010 Prerequisites are all installed as are all updates for SQL Server 2008 R2. 

I can't get the installer to complete either a repair, or a remove.  I can't get Windows Uninstaller to uninstall SharePoint 2010 either.

I've tried using a number of user id's including one that's a domain and SLQ and machine admin.

If there's a way to manualy uninstall SharePoint 2010 and start over, I'd love to do that.

When I originally installed SP2010, the PerformancePoint services features were not able to activate, so I uninstalled.  The uninstall failed on this server and this is where I'm stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've trolled through most of the blogs out there, but they don't seem to work in this instance.

Thanks

Bryant

BA
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi there Kamlesh,

It's OffScrub.vbs, and the hyperlink to the KB is - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us. However, this is client side script. I'm looking to see (hoping to see) that there's a server-side script that's publically accessible. If there isn't, that would negate this idea (unfortunately), and we'd be back to ideas like wiping out the box to start over. Before we do that, can we confirm you can add and remove other programs from the server? I wouldn't want to miss a problem with the Windows Installer that might be fixed by upgrading that tool.

Also, just checking whether there are elements on the server I should know about going forward -- any customizations, or application templates? Was this a fresh 2010 install or an upgrade of 2007? Was there ever an old beta build on this machine?

Oh, and also, do you see a valid-looking GUID in this location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0\WSS\InstalledProducts

While I'm checking on whether I can find the .vbs script somewhere publically accessible, could you let me know what the registry key here looks like?

Thanks,

Tracy

• Marked as answer by BryantAvey Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Bryant!

There's a tool you can use to forcibly remove all Office 2010 products from your server if the conventional uninstall is not working for you.  I tested this on my server and found that it completely removed SharePoint, after which I was able to reinstall correctly. 

To use the tool, copy the OFFSCRUB10.vbs file to a folder on the root of your drive. Open an elevated command prompt, and browse to the offscrub.vbs file. Run the tool in preview mode by entering offscrub10.vbs all /preview – which will launch the application with the preview  all products to remove parameter. After verifying the products you wish to remove are listed, run the tool again with the offscrub10.vbs /all parameter. After removal, a reboot is required, and you should find that SharePoint 2010 is no longer installed on your server.

Please note that this will remove all Office products from the machine, so you'd have to use at your own risk.

Edit: Bryant, it occurred to me that you might not be able to get this tool easily. If you can't, let me know, and I'll see what I can do to help!

Sincerely,

Tracy

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:19 PM
  • There's a tool you can use to forcibly remove all Office 2010 products from your server if the conventional uninstall is not working for you. 

Hi Tracy,

Did you miss to name the Tool and provide the download URL of Tool?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Hi there Kamlesh,

It's OffScrub.vbs, and the hyperlink to the KB is - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us. However, this is client side script. I'm looking to see (hoping to see) that there's a server-side script that's publically accessible. If there isn't, that would negate this idea (unfortunately), and we'd be back to ideas like wiping out the box to start over. Before we do that, can we confirm you can add and remove other programs from the server? I wouldn't want to miss a problem with the Windows Installer that might be fixed by upgrading that tool.

Also, just checking whether there are elements on the server I should know about going forward -- any customizations, or application templates? Was this a fresh 2010 install or an upgrade of 2007? Was there ever an old beta build on this machine?

Oh, and also, do you see a valid-looking GUID in this location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0\WSS\InstalledProducts

While I'm checking on whether I can find the .vbs script somewhere publically accessible, could you let me know what the registry key here looks like?

Thanks,

Tracy

• Marked as answer by BryantAvey Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the sharing the details.  I am not facing any problem at the moment and was just curious to know about this tool.

Hi Bryant,

Did you try the above said tool(VBS)?  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:20 AM
  • Hi Bryant and KSDN,

I'm hoping that a server-side version becomes available soon (a server-side complement to KB290301). There has been talk of the same, but I've yet to find anyone who can confirm any kind of ETA for this for me. I think we'll need to keep our eyes peeled... if that's too descriptive. <g> In the meantime, I'll double check to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Bryant, how are you doing so far -- have you been able to check if HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0\WSS\InstalledProducts has a valid key?

Thanks,

Tracy

Friday, July 9, 2010 7:18 PM