none
Send connector to route certain mail domains over a VPN

Question

• Good afternoon, all!

We have a new Exchange 2013 installation and have run into a minor roadblock.  

We're using a site-to-site VPN for mail to & from a major customer.  The new Exchange servers don't know about this and are routing mail over the Internet.  I suspect the customer is blocking that Internet mail because of the VPN tunnel that took production and legacy email.

I have two datacenters with Edge Transport servers in each DC sending out mail.  They connect to either of the Mailbox/CAS servers in the production environment so either server can respond to either Edge Transport server.

I found this document from Exchange 2007 that shows the outline for doing this.  Has anything significant changed between Exchange 2007 and 2013 in this arena?  

Thanks for looking!

Gregg

Friday, October 30, 2015 8:46 PM

Answers

• Good afternoon, all!

We're using a site-to-site VPN for mail to & from a major customer.  The new Exchange servers don't know about this and are routing mail over the Internet.  I suspect the customer is blocking that Internet mail because of the VPN tunnel that took production and legacy email.

I have two datacenters with Edge Transport servers in each DC sending out mail.  They connect to either of the Mailbox/CAS servers in the production environment so either server can respond to either Edge Transport server.

I found this document from Exchange 2007 that shows the outline for doing this.  Has anything significant changed between Exchange 2007 and 2013 in this arena?  

Thanks for looking!

Gregg

If you setting a specific address space on the send connector for messages destined to that domain to a specific smarthost, then , yes that will work.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, October 30, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Hello, Andy!

Yes, that's correct....for everything but the smarthost.  The hosts on the customer side of the VPN are Exchange servers.  Would they be considered smart hosts?

Thanks!

Gregg

Absolutely. If they are configured to accept messages from your servers by ip or anon, etc.. it will work...

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, October 30, 2015 9:26 PM

All replies

• Good afternoon, all!

Thanks for looking!

Gregg

If you setting a specific address space on the send connector for messages destined to that domain to a specific smarthost, then , yes that will work.

Friday, October 30, 2015 9:04 PM
  • Hello, Andy!

Yes, that's correct....for everything but the smarthost.  The hosts on the customer side of the VPN are Exchange servers.  Would they be considered smart hosts?

Thanks!

Gregg

Friday, October 30, 2015 9:10 PM
  • Hello, Andy!

Thanks!

Gregg

Absolutely. If they are configured to accept messages from your servers by ip or anon, etc.. it will work...

Friday, October 30, 2015 9:26 PM