Word + Excel 2010 - Showing 'another user' on opening a file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Bit of a odd question I would imagine but its quite a critical issue for us due to the nature of our work. All our employees have the latest Dell machines with Windows XP Pro and Office 2010 installed ... now we have a series of map drives (about 12) each having over 500,000 documents in (across various directories). Now when a user opens a document either in Word or Excel it goes ready only and produces the 'document can only be opened in read only' message.

Now this is all normal, the bit that confuses me is 90% of the time it says 'document in use by another user' ... and 10% of the time, it will actually say the user who is in the document (using their logged in username) ... 

In short, what I'm getting at is, how can I make office applications, namely word and excel say who is in the file, rather than 'another user'. This used to work perfectly in Office 2003 but since the upgrade to 2010 it's stopped.

Thanks
    Mike 

Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi TheMikeh,

Since you said there's a few Excel sheets still with this issue, could you ensure they never showed "another user" instead of the "user's name" when you still use Excel 2003?

There might be another cause of this behavior, that is the user set in the Files | Options | General in Excel == This was set to "New User"

To resolve this, you could modify that setting mannually, or with the registry entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\UserInfo]
    "UserName"="user's name"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options:
    > We can actually delete this key from the registry and the next time the user starts office, they will be prompted to enter their information.  This might be ok, but this would be dependant on the end user to enter this information.
    > We could also create a script or small utility to write this data to the registry based on the user, that could be a little more involved.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, October 3, 2011 7:55 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi, We're experiencing the same issue. I was unsure if its office or fileserver related, since we've updated both. Now instead of seeing the UserID of the user already in the file, i get the info that a 'Windows Benutzer(german systemsetting)' has this file opened. This is a mayor inconvenience for me and my colleges, because instead of calling each other our users are now calling us to find out who is using the file, since we're able to check that directly on the fileserver. I hope someone has already found a way to bypass this. Is this a case where it works as intendet to keep the privacy level high? Thanks in advance. greetz Philipp
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:48 PM
  • What make's it more confusing me is that some of the time it actually works as intended, other times (more often than not) it just says 'another user' ... now on Office 2003 this used to work fine, all be it we had to have a VBS script running on login ... it's just really annoying the amount of support requests I'm getting asking who is in a certain file.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Anyone able to assist on this? google doesn't really return anything so I'm stuck ...
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:21 AM
  • So no one know's how to solve this? or even why its doing this? ... becoming a critical issue my end especially as other solutions of the free nature work flawlessly ... running out of arguments with my director on why we should keep Office 2010.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:47 AM
  • TheMikeh;

Fairly new to Office 2010, so keep in mind please...  

I can't even begin to fathom why Office won't tell you who has a file open.  

I've recently started using 2010 and found there's a lot of "protected viewing" options that force a read only of a document.  Some of the steps I'd take to troubleshoot:

1. In "Trust Center" is "Allow documents on a network to be trusted" selected?

2. Review settings on "Protected View" and settings on "File Block Settings"

3. The ADMN templates in Group Policy for Office 2003 don't work on Office 2007/2010.  Well, not 100%, at least.  I still have to write the GPOs for some of my settings now that we're using 2007/2010 and Server 2008 here.

4. Is the document closed, but the hidden lock file still exist?

And tell your director to keep 2010 only because Microsoft was kind enough to add a "File" tab to the ribbon.  Darn stupid 'orb'.

Like I said, I'm new with dealing with Office 2010 and our MUCH SMALLER office hasn't experienced what you're referring to with "unknown user".  I do remember at some point reading an article that says Word can strip all personal identification from a document.  It messed with is for quite some time using tracked changes.  

Best of luck to you!  

• Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by TheMikeh Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Still having trouble with this ... most documents work but there's a few excel sheets where it says 'another' user instead of the user's name ... can anyone think of why it may be doing this? have gone through the settings above and no difference, as I said it appears to be specific documents rather than a per machine config issue.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Anyone? I can't believe there is no one that knows how to solve this? 15 days and no answer? :(
    • Edited by TheMikeh Friday, September 16, 2011 2:28 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi TheMikeh,

Since you said there's a few Excel sheets still with this issue, could you ensure they never showed "another user" instead of the "user's name" when you still use Excel 2003?

There might be another cause of this behavior, that is the user set in the Files | Options | General in Excel == This was set to "New User"

To resolve this, you could modify that setting mannually, or with the registry entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common\UserInfo]
    "UserName"="user's name"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Options:
    > We can actually delete this key from the registry and the next time the user starts office, they will be prompted to enter their information.  This might be ok, but this would be dependant on the end user to enter this information.
    > We could also create a script or small utility to write this data to the registry based on the user, that could be a little more involved.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Monday, October 3, 2011 7:55 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Hi Tim,

How is everything going?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:54 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm mark the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hello all --

Hopefully some people are still following this thread because I am also having the same issues. What I think hasn't been discovered yet by the posters here is that when it says the file is 'locked for editing by ‘another user’’ instead of showing you the person's username, the real issue is that it isn't open at all. Try this, when it says 'another user,' hit cancel, then double click it again. Sometimes I have to do this one, sometimes up to 6 times, but eventually it will open because it isn't open by ANYONE. I know this because our office is small and I have gone computer to computer. You can also delete the file, which wouldn't be possible if someone was actually in it.

Does this help at all? Does anyone know what could be the problem if it says it is open, but in fact isn't open at all? This problem is really, really annoying. I appreciate the narrowing it down to a Microsoft Office 2010 problem, which is consistent with my office's issues.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appiciate it! Our IT is spinning its wheels diagnosing random things which seem to have nothing to do with anything and obviously do not solve the problem.

Thanks!!!

Friday, December 9, 2011 7:04 PM
  • I'd like to save someone some work.

Here's my VBS I wrote to read in the user's name from AD and output it to a personalized REG file:

Option Explicit
    Dim objFSO, objFile, OutputFile, objSysInfo, objCurrentUser
    Dim FullName, Initials

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' ***************************************************************************
    ' Gets the current user's first name and last name

Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
    Set objCurrentUser = GetObject("LDAP://" & objSysInfo.UserName)
    FullName = objCurrentUser.givenName & " " & objcurrentuser.lastname
    Initials = Left(objCurrentUser.givenName, 1) & Left(objCurrentUser.lastName, 1)

' ******************************
     ' *** Write Registry file    ***

Set OutputFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\Temp\OfficeCommonInfo.reg", True)
    OutputFile.WriteLine("Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00")
    OutputFile.WriteLine("")
    OutputFile.WriteLine("[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OFFICE\Common\UserInfo]")
    OutputFile.WriteLine(chr(34) & "UserName" & chr(34) & "=" & chr(34) & FullName & chr(34))
    OutputFile.WriteLine(chr(34) & "UserInitals" & chr(34) & "=" & chr(34) & Initials & chr(34))
    OutputFile.Close

You'll also want to add the following to your login script:

REM Office User Initials Fix
    cscript %logonserver%\netlogon\CreateCommonInfoRegFile.vbs
    regedit -s C:\Temp\OfficeCommonInfo.reg
    Note to Terminal Server users: I suggest changing the path from C:\Temp to the user's home folder.

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:30 PM
  • I'd like to save someone some work.

Here's my VBS I wrote to read in the user's name from AD and output it to a personalized REG file:

Option Explicit
    Dim objFSO, objFile, OutputFile, objSysInfo, objCurrentUser
    Dim FullName, Initials

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' Gets the current user's first name and last name

Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
    Set objCurrentUser = GetObject("LDAP://" & objSysInfo.UserName)
    FullName = objCurrentUser.givenName & " " & objcurrentuser.lastname
    Initials = Left(objCurrentUser.givenName, 1) & Left(objCurrentUser.lastName, 1)

' *** Write Registry file    ***

Set OutputFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\Temp\OfficeCommonInfo.reg", True)
    OutputFile.WriteLine("Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00")
    OutputFile.WriteLine("")
    OutputFile.WriteLine("[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OFFICE\Common\UserInfo]")
    OutputFile.WriteLine(chr(34) & "UserName" & chr(34) & "=" & chr(34) & FullName & chr(34))
    OutputFile.WriteLine(chr(34) & "UserInitals" & chr(34) & "=" & chr(34) & Initials & chr(34))
    OutputFile.Close

You'll also want to add the following to your login script:

REM Office User Initials Fix
    cscript %logonserver%\netlogon\CreateCommonInfoRegFile.vbs
    regedit -s C:\Temp\OfficeCommonInfo.reg
    Note to Terminal Server users: I suggest changing the path from C:\Temp to the user's home folder.

That looks nice, but is there any way to edit this so it checks first to see if Office is installed on the PC before running?  

Some users log in to multiple computers/servers and not every machine will have Office installed.  This would cause a vbscript error to pop up on the screen saying it can't find the registry key if when the login script ran on a PC that didn't have Office installed.

Also, many users log into both XP and Windows 7 computers and there is not a C:\temp directory on Windows 7.  Is there an alternate path that will work on any version of Windows?

• Edited by MyGposts Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:30 PM
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:22 PM
  • This is a seriously annoying issue.  Hope this bug can get fixed soon.. in a simple way, like with a patch to download or something.  It's really frustrating that I just got a brand new computer, upgraded Excel, and keep having this issue.  Very frustrating!
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Hello all --

Hopefully some people are still following this thread because I am also having the same issues. What I think hasn't been discovered yet by the posters here is that when it says the file is 'locked for editing by ‘another user’’ instead of showing you the person's username, the real issue is that it isn't open at all. Try this, when it says 'another user,' hit cancel, then double click it again. Sometimes I have to do this one, sometimes up to 6 times, but eventually it will open because it isn't open by ANYONE. I know this because our office is small and I have gone computer to computer. You can also delete the file, which wouldn't be possible if someone was actually in it.

Does this help at all? Does anyone know what could be the problem if it says it is open, but in fact isn't open at all? This problem is really, really annoying. I appreciate the narrowing it down to a Microsoft Office 2010 problem, which is consistent with my office's issues.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appiciate it! Our IT is spinning its wheels diagnosing random things which seem to have nothing to do with anything and obviously do not solve the problem.

Thanks!!!

Is anyone still watching this thread, the post above is exactly what the problem is.

This is 6 months later and none of the "experts" have showed up.

Its time to get a fix on this, its getting quite ridiculous now.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Is anyone still watching this thread, rwebre's post above is exactly what the problem is.

It always happens when i have another worksheet open, once i close it i can open the offending one.

This is 6 months later after he posted it and none of the "experts" have showed up.

Its time to get a fix on this, its getting quite ridiculous now.

Hello all --

Thanks!!!

• Edited by Guest1239 Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:17 PM
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Check if this will help:

"Unexpected File Lock by <user>" saving or opening shared workbooks on network location

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/01/18/quot-unexpected-file-lock-by-lt-user-gt-quot-saving-or-opening-shared-workbooks-on-network-location.aspx

Max Meng

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:11 AM
  • There is a public blog on file locking issues (http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/05/14/the-definitive-locked-file-post.aspx). I would suggest the following:

If you are seeing problems where the file is locked when double clicking from Windows Explorer, but the files open up correctly when opened in Excel or Word, do the following:

Turn off the Preview Pane, Details Pane and pop ups that show information about file and desktop items

This is a problem that has been reported to affect Windows 7 clients only, not Windows XP. The problem here may have something to do with the Windows Explorer in Windows 7. We are currently investigating this further and will post more information as it is available.

In a Windows Explorer window, do the following:

1. Right click on the Start Button.
    2. Click 'Open Windows Explorer'.
    3. At the top left click Organize > Layout
    4. Uncheck Details Pane and Preview Pane.

5. On a Windows menu, click on Tools > Folder Options.  In the box that opens up, click on the View tab.  Scroll down the list to “Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items” and clear the checkbox and then click OK.

If you are seeing issues where the wrong user name is showing up, there is a known bug on that and a fix:

In cases where the wrong user name is displayed in the file lock dialog

Sometimes where it says 'another user' it has the name of someone that didn't open the file or it has no name at all. Just a big ' ' where a name ought to be. Fear not, there is a fix for this problem. The flavor depends on whether you have Excel 2010 or Excel 2007. The below KB Articles contain hotfixes that address several issues, not just the file locked issue. But in the dialog of the article you will see this as one of the problem descriptions:

Assume that you have an .xls file that is protected by Information Rights Management (IRM) on a network share. When you open the file in Excel 2007, a File In Use dialog box appears. However, the dialog box does not display the correct name of the user who locked the file. Therefore, you cannot edit the file.

Understand that these fixes don't make the File in Use dialog go away, they just correct the problem of showing bogus user name information on the dialog itself.

Excel 2007 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598133

Excel 2010 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598143

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:16 AM fix hyperlink
    Monday, June 4, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Okay, we too want to see the user names, not "another user"!

Everyone's registries show the proper name and initials, so that's not the/a problem.

I am a domain admin, so if this is a domain-wide thing, or something I can change globally, PLEASE feel free to share!

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:43 PM
  • This is exactly the problem I am having, in fact here is a screen shot (see bottom).  I've verified the file is not locked and not in use by anyone.  Some of these files haven't been used in months or years. 

This crept up when a number of departments were upgrades to Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Previous installs under XP did not see this.  

Previous fixes have yielded nothing, including all the ones in these articles that did NOT work:  

File is locked for editing by 'another user' - The Microsoft Excel Support Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/weird-file-in-use-error-opening-excel-2007-files/887e002d-1158-4a0b-9de8-931e473469d8?page=1 

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Not sure if this is a working solution for you to address the "another user" issue, but I was able to resolve this issue by deleting all temporary files located in the same folder where the Excel 2010 file was stored. It seems the temporary file did not prevent users from opening/editing the Excel file, however it did prevent the actual user name from showing in the locked for editing dialog box.

• Proposed as answer by Nick Lloyd Friday, November 30, 2012 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:38 PM
  • This seemed to have worked for me also. I navigated to the location of the share file and noticed that the temporary file was next to the original file. I checked the date and it was around the same time that the issue was recorded. I deleted the temp file and it now works as it did before that file was "left open". Not sure how the temp file got stuck in the open state but that seemed to be causing the issue. Hope this resolves it for everyone else. 
    Friday, June 29, 2012 5:34 PM
  • None of the proposed fixes worked for me.  Specifically, I could not delete the files.  Here's what I did:

login to your server as admin, go to ‘computer management’ under programs/administrative tools -  open shared folders/open files – find the offending files – right click and force them to close (before you do this you may want to open the file in read only to save a local copy first- just in case it locked up before your latest saves)

Hopefully this was helpful for you if the other fixes mentioned did not work.

• Proposed as answer by WYC Suds Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:22 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Had a few users with the same error. I had it googled and fixed within a few hours....

Ended up just running this .reg file on each of the users machines.

Note: these changes are USER specific not local machine.

All the reg file does is turn off the views that are causing this locking and also the details pane at the bottom. The lock is caused from the preview function in Windows 7 (possibly vista too?).

Reg File

--------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]
    "PreviewPaneSizer"=hex:35,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,bd,02,00,00
    "ReadingPaneSizer"=hex:04,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,64,02,00,00

-------------------------

Like i said, this fixed our issues. If Office is saying "unknown user" its not actually a different user. Really stupid we have to remove some of the features of the newer OS, but hey... it works and im not getting anymore annoying tickets :)

• Proposed as answer by treeofgreen Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:39 PM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I've just experienced the same issue, but found it is with Windows 7 and Office 2010.

As dumb as this sounds, it was the "Details" view in Windows Explorer, that shows an extra pane at the bottom of the Explorer window.

For some reason, when reading the metadata of the file, to display the Details, Excel then considers the file to be in use.

I know this wasn't there in XP, but I can also suggest that the Preview function, or thumbnails option may also cause the same issue.

Other avenues I was going to pursue in my troubleshooting:

Client Side:
    Antivirus / Realtime scanning locking the file (suggested that scan on 'write" can cause this issue.)

Indexing / Windows Search Indexing

Excel.exe continuing to run in the background, despite being closed normally.

Server Side:

Indexing / Windows Search Indexing

Antivirus

Backup

Volume Shadow Copies / Previous Versions

Ian

• Proposed as answer by Ian - Australia Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:54 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Here's the article I was working from, and it has been brilliant.

The issue I was experiencing, was due to the Microsoft Office Metadata Handler.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/archive/2012/05/14/the-definitive-locked-file-post.aspx

Best of luck.

Ian

• Proposed as answer by BB8771 Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:50 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

... This used to work perfectly in Office 2003 but since the upgrade to 2010 it's stopped.

Thanks
    Mike 

That says it right there. Back in 2003 and prior, Microsoft actually did things to make business more productive. Ever since everything has gone to the pigs with online trash like social networking and 12 year old girls to send butterflies to grandma. Time to find a replacement to Microsoft; maybe open office and linux?
    • Proposed as answer by Angry Old Bird Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:45 AM
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 2:45 AM
  • The answer by rscTech also worked for me, so thanks!
    Friday, November 30, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Try renaming the file. I'm guessing is a corrupted temporary cached file that is preventing the users' name from displaying. When I renamed the file the problem was gone.

Regards,

David
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hey... I know this question has been here for a while... but on the network at my work, if it says "another user" it almost always is my own computer!

For example if label printing software is currently reading from an excel file and i try to open that file it says in use by "another user", "would you like to open read only copy" blah blah blah. The other user I guess is the software. Other times it will randomly have the "another user" problem but if I immediately hit cancel and then re-click on the same file it opens right up. Try this.

At least here... it is my own computer if it says "another user" If it is someone else's computer on the network with no name it says something like "xxxx Authorized User"

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:37 PM
  • You would only see a user name if that individual has "personalized" their copy of Microsoft Office by adding their username.
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:56 PM
  • I had the same issue. I was able to fix it after coming across this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/weird-file-in-use-error-opening-excel-2007-files/887e002d-1158-4a0b-9de8-931e473469d8

I ran the registry fix from that forum and it is fixing all of the issues we have had with the same error. From what the forum says I think the user is locking the file for editing with the fist click, and when you try to open it with the second click you get the error.(a bug with Windows explorer/ Excel)

I hope it works for you too.

Jason

Here is the regedit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "ShowInfoTip"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer]
    "PreviewPaneSizer"=hex:35,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,bd,02,00,00
    "ReadingPaneSizer"=hex:04,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,64,02,00,00

• Proposed as answer by Under Zero Monday, March 18, 2013 6:07 PM
    • Edited by Under Zero Monday, March 18, 2013 6:08 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 6:06 PM
  • I found what is cuasing this problem. If you have Office 2010 and have some files that were created in version 2003 or less (file extension xls), it does not create the temporary file it needs to identify the user. All excel 2010 files should work.

To solve this problem, check if your file is in xls format. If yes, open it and to a "save as" and chosse the xlsx format. Once you open the xlsx file, another user will be able to see who is in the file as the system will create a temporary file starting with a ~.

I disovered this and tried it and it works well now.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:04 PM
  • I too experienced this issue and resolved it by turning off the 'Details Pane' under 'Organize' dropdown in Windows Explorer.

It seems Explorer accessing the file before it opens causes the lock up, hence the non-decript 'another user'.

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Mike, also remember to close out any other documents that may be referencing the excel spreadsheet you can't open.  For example, I got the "locked for editing by another user" error message because I had a Word document open referencing the spreadsheet for a mail merge.  When I closed the Word doc, I was able to open the excel doc.
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Finally something, what helped:-)

Now I can see, who is currently editing spreadsheet.

THX

Solved
    • Edited by Matin Zidu Friday, November 22, 2013 7:22 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 7:21 AM
  • Hi Matin,

Just wonder which of all solutions did it work for you.

thanks in advance,

Yeison

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hi All,

I came across a similar issue, where Excel 2003 users were getting "File is locked by user " " ".

It seemed to be down to a particular file rather than a general issue, and it was only when I investigated further that I found that the user had ticked the Privacy option!

If you look in Tools / Options / Security tab and then tick the box for "Privacy Options", not only does it "remove personal information from file properties on save" but it's overly keen and won't tell you who's locking it out when the file's being shared!

Hope this helps anyone else who comes across this issue!  :-)

Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Hi all, the solution I've found is installing Service Pack 2 for office 2010.  I've had users with the same exact problem showing "file in use by another user" when in fact, I always setup my office with authorized user. Then when the end user could reproduce the error constantly and I could see on the server, no one else ever had it open, it was definitely another classic Office bug. Luckily this time a service pack corrected the problem.

Download the Office 2010 service pack 2 here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39667

Friday, November 29, 2013 1:46 PM
  • We found that we got the error because of the details view/pane in windows explorer. 

We are running Win7 pro and Office 2007

If you open my computer

• Choose Organize (top left)
    • from the organize drop down choose layout
    • Click "details" to remove the check mark next to it, this will remove the detail pane across the bottom of the windows explorer window.
    • Close the window

I made the changes to our users pc's and we haven't had the problem since (close to a year).

For some reason the details view causes the files to think that they are in use when they are not.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 27, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Hello, all

I had the same problem. 

Solution: Turn off  protocol SMB2.0 (continues SMB1.0) 
    1) Workstation Service: 
    sc config lanmanworkstation depend = bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi 
    sc config mrxsmb20 start = disabled 

2) Server service: 
    HKLM \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ LanmanServer \ Parameters 
    Add REG_DWORD -> Smb2 
    Value name: Smb2 
    Value type: REG_DWORD 
    = 0 

(0 - disabled, 1 - enabled)

http://technet.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/ff645214(v=ws.10).aspx

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:07 AM
  • Thanks so much for the info on the security tab.  With my client we knew the file was locked because I would have it opened on one workstation while trying to access it on another, but the username would only display 'another user'.  I had both XP Office 2003 and Win 7 Office 2010 Excel accessing the file.  Sure enough when I looked under Excel 2003 Tools-Security Tab it was checked.  When I looked under Excel 2010 you see something under the File-Info menu for Sharing and it says there is a setting that will block personal information.  There is a link underneath that you can click on to allow it to save personal information.  Once I did and saved the file I could access it on both Excel 2003 and Excel 2010 showing the correct windows username.
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 4:36 PM