none
Moving Replicas to Different Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have three storage pool disks on my DPM server, one with 15% free, one with 0% and one with 8%. I'd like to move some of the data stored on the full one to one of the less jammed ones while we get our space upgrade sorted out. What's the best way to get this done?

- Liam

Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi

You can do this by using the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.PS1. Look at this blogpost for an example.

http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/10/migratedatasourcedatafromdpmps1.html

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Are you certain this is necessary?  It doesn't matter if a disk is full in the storage pool.  If you need to expand a replica or recovery point volume, DPM can use any free space on any disk in the pool.  We have ~20 2TB disks in the storage pool on each of our DPM servers and most are at capacity.  No issues at all.

You can add additional physical disks if you need more space in the pool (like when ALL disks get near capacity).

Thursday, July 7, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Are you certain this is necessary?  It doesn't matter if a disk is full in the storage pool.  If you need to expand a replica or recovery point volume, DPM can use any free space on any disk in the pool.  We have ~20 2TB disks in the storage pool on each of our DPM servers and most are at capacity.  No issues at all.

You can add additional physical disks if you need more space in the pool (like when ALL disks get near capacity).

No, I'm not - I'm getting failure messages due to insufficient space, so I figured it might be a good idea to try. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it sorts out.

- Liam

Friday, July 8, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Those messages are either caused by insufficient space on the protected server, or insufficient space in the DPM volume.  If the former, free up space on that volume.  By default you need 300MB free (but could be more if you increased the change journal size).  If the latter, just expand the appropriate DPM volume.

No shuffling of volumes within the DPM storage pool is needed.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Hello,

If your disk space is exceeded you will get warnings.  A good way to avoid this is to use autogrow on your datasources that may need it. Autogrow will grow the volume by 25% or 10 gigs whichever is larger once the threshold is reached.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399717.aspx

Thanks
    Shane

• Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Friday, July 29, 2011 12:09 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Hi there,

The volume on the DPM server that is running out of space has 0% unallocated and can't be expanded. Autogrow is enabled on all datasources. I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes.

- Liam

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Just expand the volume.  It doesn't matter if there is no more space on the particular disk that holds that volume, as long as there's space on another disk in the storage pool.  If there is no space available on any disk in the storage pool, you should probably add another.  Volumes can be expanded and spanned across multiple physical disks.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:45 AM
  • Hello,

Are you still having this issue?

Shane

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:07 PM