none
Windows Update on Jan 8, 2019 Breaks Program Using MS Jet 4.0 - WIN XP, 7, 8 and 10 RRS feed

• Question

• The recent Windows Update on Jan 8, 2019 breaks our POS Program Using MS Jet 4.0 affecting hundreds of our customers with thousands of computers. It has affected everyone running XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 as well as Server. No one has changed their database type. It affects databases large and small. There are no linked tables. Not trying excel connect or anything like that.

This update contains a "security update for MS Jet 4.0" but doesn't seem to replace the MSJET40.DLL. Users of our application get "Unrecognized Database Format" errors when accessing files through our program. Rewriting the entire application to use MS Ace or something else then deploying to thousands of computers is not a viable solution.

Removing the Security Update for Microsoft Windows or the Monthly Rollup always repairs the issue. The problem is that Windows 10 users are unable to turn off updates and others who forget to are right back where they started when the update returns.

In July, this "bug" appeared in one of our "Windows 10 Insider Previews: for Windows version 1803. It was promptly fixed in the very next Windows Insider Preview Build and I currently have Insider Build 1809 without that latest patch and everything works as it should. That said, I did have a customer with 1809 who had this issue. I currently have Build 18262.rs_prerelease 181012-1414 from the slow ring. 

We have users on 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP as well as server versions. All are affected. At least six KB numbers for 10 alone have this, one for all versions of 7 i have seen, and one for XP. Some 10 users use Pro, most Enterprise, some home. The latter two have no method of pausing updates without using a 3rd party tool. Pro and Ent grp policy editor csn be used to disable updates. This is an absolute nightmare. 

Here are a few. There are so many others for 10 that i stopped writing them down days ago. 

Security Update KB4480970,  KB4480116 or KB4480962 (WIN 10), KB4480966 (WIN7), KB4480963 (WIN 8), KB4481275 (XP), KB4480968 (WIN SERVER 2008)

Please, if anyone has a solution other than removing the Windows Update, please let me know ASAP. I thank you for reading.

Rusty Gordon

Sensible Cinema Software

Friday, January 11, 2019 6:00 PM

All replies

• Thats not the first time a Windows update breaks JET.
    An older product of ours was affected by one of the Known issues in: October 10, 2017—KB4041681

JET was deprecated a long time ago, so I guess nobody is testing for compatibility any longer.

Friday, January 11, 2019 6:39 PM
  • You could try downloading wushowhide.diagcab from Microsoft.

It is a simple troubleshooter intended to prevent a troublesome update from installing by "hiding" it from the system. You run it after uninstalling a problem update or when the update has been noted by the system as pending but is not yet installed. There is also an option to unhide a previously hidden update.

I run it manually on each system with a problem which may not help you unless you can devise a script to roll out to your many users.

Friday, January 11, 2019 6:59 PM
  • Thanks. I am aware of that utility. Unfortunately I can't reach out to every customer to install that for them. This problem was in an Insider Preview in July then one week later another update fixed this. It's probably just around the corner.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 7:10 PM
  • Considering the update documentation specifically mentions it updates Microsoft Jet it should have been tested with Microsoft Jet 4.0.

• Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows MSXML, Windows Kernel, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Wireless Networking, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.

Friday, January 11, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Well, we've narrowed it down to one offending file, msrd3x40.dll. These Windows updates move this file from version 4.00.9801.5 to 4.00.9801.7. Reverting to the previous version of this file is the only thing that gets rid of the "Unrecognized Database Format Error" throughout the application. It's a bear to overwrite a system file and take ownership from TrustedInstaller to do so. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to version good file higher so that I can stop worrying about a subsequent Windows Update from overwriting it?
    Friday, January 11, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Some workarounds are described here: KB4480116 and KB4480970 failure getting access to MDB database ( Access 97 )

So seems to affect tables with field names longer then 32 char, created with Access 97, but opened with Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0

Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:26 AM
  • Seems to be the popular notion but I reduced the few that were over 32 characters and still had the problem. Even if it did work it would be a super pain to write a program to reduce the length of these fields.

The file msrd3x40.dll from this Windows update overwrites even newer, higher version number working versions of the file. I used stampver to version a good one higher and artificially updated the good file past the date of the bad one. Still, installshield won't replace a bad one with a lower version and Microsoft Windows update replaces 4.00.9999.9 with 4.00.9801.7!!! Ugh!

Saturday, January 12, 2019 10:43 PM
  • Microsoft updated the KB articles and confirmed this as a known issue.
    Sunday, January 13, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Noted. We're using their workaround Option 1 with success. Still a pain in my as$.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:50 PM