System Restore from Command prompt doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I inadvertantly clicked a malware link and 2 -3 programs got installed before I could figure out what was going on.  I deleted the programs, one being "conduit search"....then rebooted only to find funky problems like not being able to double click any icons on the desktop except my computer, although they could be opened by right click.  First thought was to try System Restore.  When I tried to access this via start>programs>....>system restore nothing happened....wouldn't open.   I next tried to boot to safe mode and then use the command prompt to get there by typing..."%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe".....when I did, the response was something like "unknown command or can't find the file or something like that".  I tried run>rstrui.exe and pretty much got the same response.   What am I missing???   Is my syntax in error?  How can I poke around the directories to find the command or executable I am looking for.   Any other ideas on how to figure out whether my computer is infected would help too.  One thing at a time.....
    Friday, February 14, 2014 7:19 AM

Answers

• run this command : sfc /scannow

Also check this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796/en-us

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by krellboy Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:39 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.....I am going to try that. 

I did get the System Restore to function.  Even though I didn't find the actual syntax to run the restore, I did (randomly) enter "restore" in the run line....start>run>restore.  It popped up with the restore folder and I was able to bring up the restore calendar by clicking on the executable. The machine did restore and problem solved.  Very surprised by how easy it was.  It's baffling to me that the Window XP book I was using didn't mention this anywhere.  

Anyway the restore got me working again......I bet I am much more careful with my future clicks.
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:39 PM

All replies

• run this command : sfc /scannow

Also check this : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302796/en-us

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 14, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.....I am going to try that. 

I did get the System Restore to function.  Even though I didn't find the actual syntax to run the restore, I did (randomly) enter "restore" in the run line....start>run>restore.  It popped up with the restore folder and I was able to bring up the restore calendar by clicking on the executable. The machine did restore and problem solved.  Very surprised by how easy it was.  It's baffling to me that the Window XP book I was using didn't mention this anywhere.  

Anyway the restore got me working again......I bet I am much more careful with my future clicks.
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:39 PM