MS Center Endpoint Protection - antivirus database validity under Software Assurance license. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Could you please help me understand or point the reliable information about the Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection.
    I need to know the terms of the expiration period of virus database under the Software Assurance

How long my MSCEP clients will be able to download the virus definitions?

Actually I'm wondering about the period of validity and payment issue for MSCEP, while one can get the av definitions for MS Essentials Security and Windows 8 build in av system for free. 

I will be very thankful for some kind of tips!

Regards

Marcin

Monday, December 3, 2012 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

The SCEP client syncs the latest definition from Windows Update/Microsoft Update every 8 hours. The EP Control Manager calls the SCEP client API to retrieve the Definition metadata every 15 minutes and creates a *.EPP file in the epmgr.box folder on the site server when a new Definition is found. EP Manager parses the file and inserts the metadata in the database.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

The SCEP client syncs the latest definition from Windows Update/Microsoft Update every 8 hours. The EP Control Manager calls the SCEP client API to retrieve the Definition metadata every 15 minutes and creates a *.EPP file in the epmgr.box folder on the site server when a new Definition is found. EP Manager parses the file and inserts the metadata in the database.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:22 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:07 AM
  • It's not exactly answer for my doubts, but any way thanks for such a detailed information. In the meanwhile I did get answer for my question. In my case the database subscription period is equal MSCEP software assurance period. Regards, Marcin
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:29 PM