Word 2010: Changing the list of templates shown when I click "New" RRS feed

• Question

• When I click File | New I see a list of Available Templates and Office.com Templates.

Under Available Templates is a folder called My Templates where all of my self-created templates are listed.

That seems to be too many steps - more than in Word 2007, if I remember correctly.

Is there a way for me to customize Word so that my own templates are visible as soon as I click File | New

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:03 PM

Answers

• You can add the New Document or Template button to your Quick Access Toolbar.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Nebulousity Monday, August 15, 2011 4:05 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Hi there,

Check this:

Add a new custom ribbon and a new custom tab, and add the macro buttons to open your custom templates.

The macro could be:

Sub OpenTemplate()
                 Documents.Add Template:="\\TestFolder\Templates\Test.dotx", NewTemplate:=False, DocumentType:=0
             End Sub

It looks like this:

Also you can manage your templates follow this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178976.aspx

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:03 PM
  • What Max offered is a very useful and obviously a more advanced solution. :-)

Note, however, that the simple button I mentioned does give you access to the user templates folder, and you can group templates as desired by adding subfolders.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:14 PM

All replies

• You can add the New Document or Template button to your Quick Access Toolbar.

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Stefan:

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, I have several custom-designed templates, not just one. So I want them easily accessible from within Word.

I realize I could open the folder where they are stored from Windows Explorer and double-click one to open it. Or I could create shortcuts for them somewhere. But I'm usually inside Word at the time I need to do this. It just seems like reverse logic for MS to have made uninstalled templates easier to access than installed ones, and installed stock templates easier to install than self-created ones.

~N

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi there,

Check this:

Add a new custom ribbon and a new custom tab, and add the macro buttons to open your custom templates.

The macro could be:

Sub OpenTemplate()
                 Documents.Add Template:="\\TestFolder\Templates\Test.dotx", NewTemplate:=False, DocumentType:=0
             End Sub

It looks like this:

Also you can manage your templates follow this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178976.aspx

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:03 PM
  • @Max Meng:

Dude, you're awesome! I have read both of these and, though I haven't tried them yet, I can tell that they are exactly what I was looking for. The technet article describes just what I was requesting, and the custom ribbon solution may be even better.

It will probably be a few days before I can implement them, but I'll be certain to come back here and update the post after I do.

Thank you!

~N

Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:33 PM
  • What Max offered is a very useful and obviously a more advanced solution. :-)

Note, however, that the simple button I mentioned does give you access to the user templates folder, and you can group templates as desired by adding subfolders.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Stefan:

You are absolutely right! I understood your post differently than you intended. If you had written...

add the "New Document Or Template" button

I would have understood. Without quotes around the phrase, however, I thought you were telling me to create a shortcut to a particular template to the toolbar. That's why I replied with "but I have several, not just one." :-)

Your solution is simple and does exactly what I need as well. I've incorporated it.

Thanks again!

~N

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I'm glad we were able to clear that up! :-)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:33 AM