none
Limits of work resource rate precision in MSPS2010/2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Colleagues,

I have a situation where a customer wants to use rates with greater than two digits of precision to the right of the decimal. Where can I find documentation for Project/Project Server's limits in this? It SEEMS like it may accept greater precision in certain circumstances, but I can't find any reference to this searching the documentation, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

C.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:09 PM

All replies

• Chet --

I cannot cite a reference for you, but I can tell you by doing some research that the limit of precision for resource rates is two decimal places.  You can enter more numbers to the right of the two decimal places, but Microsoft Project will simply round off the Standard Rate value to the nearest one cent.  So, you will need to tell your customer that what they want to do simply cannot be done.  If they doubt you, please feel free to quote me.  That way they can blame me and not you!  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:31 PM
  • Well, that's just it: I need the reference. 

Surely somewhere on Technet there's a doc that explains this behavior.

Also, there's slightly different observable behavior depending on whether or not you use the PSI to set the rate or PWA/Project.

Let's imagine two resources: Andy and Brad. 

I'll set Andy's standard rate to be 50.009 using PWA. You can see when you save it that his rate is rounded to 50.01.

I'll set Brad's rate to 50.009 using the PSI. 

If I add both to a project, and assign each to a 10-hour task, Andy's cost is $500.10, but Brad's is $500.09.

The difference is the difference between 10*50.009 and 10*50.01.

• Edited by Chet Farmer Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:41 PM added example.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Chet --

Well, I have never seen a reference about this particular question.  Why do you need a reference anyway?  Does the client not believe you or trust you?  Then cite me as your reference.  I am one of 23 Microsoft Project MVPs in the entire world and I am the co-author of 19 books on Microsoft Project and Project Server.  Would that not carry enough weight with your client?

Otherwise, feel free to keep looking for a reference that may or may not exist.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:38 PM
  • Well, see my update. It's not just about the client anymore.

You CAN get higher precision rates in using the PSI, so the issue is that behavior varies by conduit, which makes me want to see some reference material about it. 

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:05 PM
  • Chet --

I understand your frustration, but please understand that I am a volunteer in this user forum.  I simply do not have the time to debate whether there is documentation on your situation, or to go looking for myself to see if the behavior is actually documented somewhere in TechNet.

So, if you are able to find some documentation about this issue, I trust you will share the information with the rest of the users in this forum so that we all benefit from your research.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:13 AM