Customers Receiving Email "Floods" RRS feed

• Question

• We've started getting reports from customers that they are receiving a flood of emails when a ticket is resolved. Looking into the incident history, it appears that Service Manager is removing the incident resolver then re-adding the incident resolver and sending an email each time.

Investigating our current workflows, I have not found one where this specific user is added via a template. In one case, a workflow applied a template immediately before the flood began, but in another the template was added 24+ hours before the flood, and several updates were made between the flood and the template being applied. Using the same templates and workflows, I have been unable to replicate the email flood for myself.

To rule out the templates and workflows, I have added logic for the workflow to check to see if the incident classification that is applied by the workflow's corresponding template already exists before applying the template.

Is this a known issue? I know that an email flood issue was identified in a recent cumulative update, but I'm not sure from the release notes if this particular behavior is what the cumulative update resolved.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• I had a similar issue.

With me, it was actually my workflows.

I had created a workflow which catered for a case being changed to resolved. Working 100%

I also had a workflow to cater for a case being closed and sending a nice message to the user about "escalation" if closely prematurely.

I then created a workflow when a case is closed, that would send out a survey.\

Since both Workflows where being triggered when the case is being closed, it created a loop and an "e-mail fllod". I recified this by using the original "close case" workflow and adding my case survey to that.

Perhaps, you have accidentally done the saem thing as I had?

Hope this helps,

Fletcher

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:05 AM
  • That might be the case, Fletcher. After I set the workflows to check for the incident category that would be assigned if the workflow had already run against the incident, we have not seen a recurrence of the floods.

Out of curiosity, what were you using to collect survery responses?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:52 PM